Find volume when curve rotated about y-axis

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Volume
In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis. The given curve is y=-4lnx where 0<=y<=2. The person has attached a geogebra file with their calculations and is asking for someone to review and point out any errors. They have also mentioned their frustration with making the same mistake repeatedly and the importance of having another person review their work. The solution given is -2.2114547+2pi which is approximately 3.97. The conversation ends with a reminder of the benefits of having another pair of eyes check for errors.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks, could someone please take a look at this for me:

Here are the givens:

$$\text{ Find the volume when this curve is rotated about the y-axis }$$
$$y=-4lnx\ \text{ where } 0\le y \le 2$$

I have set my working out in a geogebra file, taken a screenshot and attached same below.

Would someone kindly take a look at my calculations and point out where I am going astray?

Really appreciate your time,
Deus Abs

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{0}\ne 0[/tex]

Good work otherwise.

Last edited:
tkhunny said:
[tex]e^{0}\ne 0[/tex]

Good work otherwise.

Thank you kindly!

so: $$-2.2114547+2\pi \approx 3.97$$

Which is the solution given!

Do you know I kept making that error over and over again, through a frustrating hour or so; this makes me *sure* that I must find a different approach (different mind-set/attitude, perhaps) my checking procedure: cultivate an attitude of radical skepticism: something like: "question *everything* again regarding your working assumptions!"

Regs,
D'Abs

Contrary to the too broad definition of privacy, another pair of eyes often is quite beneficial. :)

Very true! Oftentimes when I make an error like that, I will keep blindly making it over and over, and the best thing for me is to move on to something else, and when I come back to it after a break, then I am much more likely to catch the error. If I don't, then I will seek another pair of eyes! ;)

FAQ: Find volume when curve rotated about y-axis

What does it mean to find volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis?

When a curve is rotated about the y-axis, it means that the shape formed by the curve is being rotated around a vertical line passing through the origin of the coordinate system.

Why is finding the volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis important?

Finding the volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of space that is enclosed by the rotated shape. This is useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as determining the capacity of a container or the displacement of a solid object.

What is the formula for finding the volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis?

The formula for finding the volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis is V = π∫ab(f(x))2dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function representing the curve.

Can you provide an example of finding volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis?

Sure, let's say we have the curve y = x2 and we want to find the volume when it is rotated about the y-axis between x = 0 and x = 2. The formula would be V = π∫02(x2)2dx = π∫02x4dx = π(25/5) = 32π/5 units3.

What are some real-world applications of finding volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis?

Finding volume when a curve is rotated about the y-axis has many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank or a cylindrical container, determining the capacity of a silo, or finding the displacement of an irregularly shaped object in fluid mechanics. It is also used in the fields of architecture, 3D modeling, and computer graphics to create and design complex shapes and structures.

Back