Find wave speed by using relation x-y at given time.

In summary: After spending a considerable amount of time on this problem, I finally got to understand it. I believe what you were trying to say was, that y(x,t) should be given in a form that satisfies the given conditions. Which is why you suggested the equation should be of the form ,##y(x,t)=\frac{1}{1+(x-kt)^2}##I believe you couldn't explicitly give this equation as a function of t, due to the limited knowledge of mathematics of the OP. I'm sorry if I had offended you earlier. I'll be careful
NihalSh

Homework Statement

The displacement due to a wave moving in the positive x-direction is given by ##y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}## at time t=0 s and by ##y=\frac{1}{1+(x-1)^2}## at t=2 s, where x and y are in meters. Find the velocity of the wave in m/s.

Homework Equations

## \frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2}=\frac{1}{v^2}.\frac{∂^2y}{(∂t)^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we have to deal with partial derivative wrt x on L.H.S., we can simply take the derivative of given x-y relations.
For case, t=0 we have:

##y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}##

or ##y.(1+x^2)=1##

differentiating on both sides wrt x, we get

##(1+x^2).\frac{∂y}{∂x}=-2.x.y##

differentiating again and substituting value of y, we get

## \frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2}=\frac{2.(3.x^2-1)}{(1+x^2)^3}##

Similarly for case t=2, we get:

## \frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2}=\frac{2.(3.(x-1)^2-1)}{(1+(x-1)^2)^3}##

The only common factor they seem to have is 2 so that must be equal to ##\frac{1}{v^2}##.

##\frac{1}{v^2}=2##
that means ##v= \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} m/s≈0.71 m/s##
But my book says the answer is ##v=0.5 m/s##, I haven't got a clue what went wrong or how to approach it with some other method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NihalSh!

NihalSh said:
The only common factor they seem to have is 2 so that must be equal to ##\frac{1}{v^2}##.

##\frac{1}{v^2}=2##

I can't follow this.

Anyways, you have a notation problem in your equation. ##\frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2}## is not same as ##\frac{∂^2y}{∂x^2}## and I think this is what you mean.

To solve the problem, you need to find ##y(x,t)##. Find the partial derivatives and substitute in the linear wave equation to find v.

Pranav-Arora said:
I can't follow this.

from my point of view (as explained in the textbook), the velocity in a given material doesn't change with time unless something physical is being changed like tension. so I compared the partial derivative with the equation mentioned :

## \frac{∂^2y}{∂x^2}=\frac{1}{v^2}.\frac{∂^2y}{∂t^2}##

this part ,##\frac{∂^2y}{∂t^2}## will change in both cases but the factor ##\frac{1}{v^2}## remains the same and it should be constant. so I did equated the constant factor with ##\frac{1}{v^2}##

Pranav-Arora said:
Anyways, you have a notation problem in your equation. ##\frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2}## is not same as ##\frac{∂^2y}{∂x^2}## and I think this is what you mean.

##\frac{∂}{∂x}.\frac{∂y}{∂x}= \frac{∂^2y}{(∂x)^2} =\frac{∂^2y}{∂x^2}##
I think it makes no difference, I used a rather unconventional notation but both are correct I believe. I'll be careful next time

Pranav-Arora said:
To solve the problem, you need to find ##y(x,t)##. Find the partial derivatives and substitute in the linear wave equation to find v.
I have no clue how to proceed, the wave could have any shape since its not mentioned that it's a sinusoidal function. Please show how to proceed further.

NihalSh said:
so I compared the partial derivative with the equation mentioned :

this part ,##\frac{∂^2y}{∂t^2}## will change in both cases but the factor ##\frac{1}{v^2}## remains the same and it should be constant. so I did equated the constant factor with ##\frac{1}{v^2}##

I am still not able to understand.

I have no clue how to proceed, the wave could have any shape since its not mentioned that it's a sinusoidal function. Please show how to proceed further.

You need to find ##y(x,t)## which satisfies the given conditions. Do you see it has to be of the following form:
$$y(x,t)=\frac{1}{1+(x-kt)^2}$$
Look for an appropriate value of k (where k is some constant) and find the partial derivatives.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
You need to find ##y(x,t)## which satisfies the given conditions. Do you see it has to be of the following form:
$$y(x,t)=\frac{1}{1+(x-kt)^2}$$
Look for an appropriate value of k (where k is some constant) and find the partial derivatives.

I'll give your method a try and then post the results.

Edit : I gave it a try, but it is turning out to be to complex. The question was a MCQ. This is as far as I could get.

if I assume the wave has equation of the form,

##y(x,t)=\frac{1}{1+(x-kt)^2}## here k should be 1/2 by trial and error.

$$\frac{∂^2y}{∂x^2}=\frac{2.(3.(x-kt)^2-1)}{(1+(x-kt)^2)^3}$$

$$\frac{∂^2y}{∂t^2}=\frac{2.((x-kt)^2-1)}{(1+(x-kt)^2)^2}$$

if I proceed further by taking ##k=\frac{1}{2}##, then

##4v^2=\frac{x^4-1}{3x^2-1}## for t=0

##4v^2=\frac{(x-1)^4-1}{3(x-1)^2-1}## for t=2

But ##v## should be constant, right?...but here it is a function of x. Did I do something wrong?...or did I miss something crucial?...or maybe this isn't the way?!?:confused:

Last edited:
NihalSh said:
$$\frac{∂^2y}{∂t^2}=\frac{2.((x-kt)^2-1)}{(1+(x-kt)^2)^2}$$
Doesn't look right to me.
##4v^2=\frac{x^4-1}{3x^2-1}## for t=0

##4v^2=\frac{(x-1)^4-1}{3(x-1)^2-1}## for t=2
No, that's not right. Don't substitute the values, you have to substitute the expressions for derivatives directly into the linear wave equation. t=0 and t=2 were given in the problem statement so that you can deduce ##y(x,t)##.

Hi NihalSh :smile:

You are putting way too much effort than is actually required .

I will try and help you out.

Do you understand that wave equation is a function of both x and t and not x alone i.e y=f(x,t) .

First try and express y as a function of x and t i.e y=f(x,t) .A little hit and trial will be okay , no calculus required .

Let me know what you get.

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
First try and express y as a function of x and t i.e y=f(x,t) .A little hit and trial will be okay , no calculus required :wink:.

Sounds interesting, I am curious as to how you would do that without calculus.

Pranav-Arora said:
Doesn't look right to me.

No, that's not right. Don't substitute the values, you have to substitute the expressions for derivatives directly into the linear wave equation. t=0 and t=2 were given in the problem statement so that you can deduce ##y(x,t)##.

I appreciate your help but I haven't got a clue where I am being led!:-p
It doesn't seem reasonable.

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi NihalSh :smile:

You are putting way too much effort than is actually required .

I will try and help you out.

Do you understand that wave equation is a function of both x and t and not x alone i.e y=f(x,t) .

First try and express y as a function of x and t i.e y=f(x,t) .A little hit and trial will be okay , no calculus required .

Let me know what you get.
I know, right! This question is an MCQ for god's sake. But I've managed to figure it out, thanks to Walter Lewin. I'll post the solution in a minute for anyone's future reference.

Pranav-Arora said:

:smile: .I think Nihal has figured it out.

You don't need any derivatives. Anyway you don't have y as a function of t so you cannot calculate derivatives in respect to t.

If you take an arbitrary point at distance x1, the displacement at t=0 is y1=1/(1+x1^2)
At t=2, a point with the same displacement, y1, will have to be at a distance x1+1.
So in 2 seconds the point with the same displacement moves by 1 unit.
The wave speed is then...

Likes 2 people
Pranav-Arora said:

I can now guarantee you since I have figured it out, it can be done without trial and error and without calculus. There is an appropriate way.

If you want to change a function (ex. ##y=x^2 +1##) to traveling/moving function. Then all we have to do is replace ##x→x-vt##, where ##v## is the velocity and ##t## is the time.

Since I have been given two value of ##y##, first at t=0. This value is simply the function which I want to convert to traveling function. So replacing ##x→x-vt##, in the given t=0 case.

I get ##y=\frac{1}{1+(x-vt)^2}##, then comparing with the second case I simply get:

##x-vt=x-1## here t=2, so

##v=+\frac{1}{2}##

+sign indicates the function travels in the +ve ##x## direction.

P.S. : Source
first 2-3 minutes of the video explains the method.
thanks to everyone for helping out!
I know the solution looks messy, but it is very very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
:thumbs:

Just check if you can apply the same technique if y=1/[1+(1-x)2] at t=2 instead of what is given in the original question.

Tanya Sharma said:
:thumbs:

Just check if you can apply the same technique if ##y=\frac{1}{1+(1-x)^2}## at t=2 instead of what is given in the original question.

for the technique to apply we should know what ##y## is at t=0. Otherwise, it becomes trial and error.

since ##(1-x)^2## is essentially same as ##(x-1)^2## so it should be same for ##y=\frac{1}{1+(1-x)^2}## and ##y=\frac{1}{1+(x-1)^2}##

assuming ##y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}## at t=0, then it simply follows replace ##x→x-vt##.

the answer would still come out to be ##v=+\frac{1}{2}##

Edit: Alternate method:

##y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}=\frac{1}{1+(-x)^2}## at t=0 and ##y=\frac{1}{1+(1-x)^2}## at t=2

##x→x-vt##

##-x→vt-x##

Solving gives same answer, that is ##v=+\frac{1}{2}##

Last edited:
Similar questions I found in other textbooks can also be solved by this method:

The displacement function of a wave traveling along positive x-direction is ##y=\frac{1}{2+3x^2}## at t=0 s and by ##y=\frac{1}{2+3(x-2)^2}## at t=2 s, where y and x are in meters. Find the velocity of the wave.

Answer: +1 m/s

If at t=0 s, a traveling wave pulse on a string is described by the function ##y=\frac{6}{x^2+3}##. What will be the wave function representing the pulse at time t, if the pulse is propagating along positive x-axis with speed 4 m/s?

Answer: ##y=\frac{6}{(x-4t)^2+3}##

At t=0 s, a transverse wave pulse in wire is described by the function ##y=\frac{6}{x^2+3}## where x and y are in meters. Write the function y(x,t) that describes this wave if it is traveling in the positive x-direction with a speed of 4.50 m/s.

Answer: ##y(x,t)=\frac{6}{(x-4.50t)^2+3}##

P.S. : It works like a charm every time because as I found out it is among the very basic equations normally using to derive wave equations from oscillations/wave pulse.

Excellent :smile:

What about y(x,t=0) = 1/(1+x3) and y(x,t=2) = 1/(1+(1-x)3) ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Excellent :smile:

What about ##y(x,t=0) = \frac{1}{1+x^3}## and ##y(x,t=2) = \frac{1}{1+(1-x)^3}## ?

They couldn't be of the same wave function. I believe they both are part of different wave functions. Hence, my method doesn't apply.:wink:

P.S. : ##y(x,t)## function of ##y(x,t=0) = \frac{1}{1+x^3}## is

##y(x,t) = \frac{1}{1+(x-vt)^3}##

which doesn't match the second given function.

I believe you are just testing the limit of method's applicability, but I can assure it would work for every real case (unlike this one).

Sorry...that was a typo

I meant y(x,t=0) = 1/(1-x3) ,not y(x,t=0) = 1/(1+x3) .

I am not testing the method.Just trying to understand this technique by applying different functions.

##x→x-vt##

##y(x,t)## function of ##y(x,t=0) = \frac{1}{1-x^3}## is

##y(x,t) = \frac{1}{1-(x-vt)^3}##

since ##y(x,t=2) = \frac{1}{1+(1-x)^3}=\frac{1}{1-(x-1)^3}##

solving them would give ##v=+\frac{1}{2}##

Related to Find wave speed by using relation x-y at given time.

1. What does the relation x-y represent in finding wave speed?

The relation x-y represents the displacement of a wave at a given time. It shows the distance the wave has traveled from its original position.

2. How is wave speed calculated using the relation x-y?

Wave speed can be calculated by dividing the displacement (x-y) by the time it took for the wave to travel that distance. This can be written as v = (x-y)/t, where v is the wave speed, x-y is the displacement, and t is the time.

3. Is the wave speed the same at all points along the wave?

No, the wave speed can vary at different points along the wave depending on factors such as the medium it is traveling through and the frequency of the wave.

4. Can the relation x-y be used to find the speed of any type of wave?

Yes, the relation x-y can be used to find the speed of any type of wave as long as the displacement and time are known.

5. What units are used to measure wave speed?

Wave speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or other distance over time units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or feet per second (ft/s).