Find work needed to compress and heat air from -50C, .1bar to 25C, .8 bar

In summary: I think the OP was originally asking about how much it would cost to maintain a certain temperature in an airplane cabin. Once you've answered those questions, you will be able to start using equations.
katieisblonde

Homework Statement

It is thought that people develop respiratory infections during air travel because much of the airplane cabin air is recirculated. Airiines claim that using orlly fresh air in the cabins is too costly since at an altitude of 30 000 feet the outside conditions are -50°C and 0.1 bar, so that the air would have to be compressed and heated before being introduced into the cabin. The air- plane cabin has a volume of 100 m3 with air at the in- flight conditions of 25°C and 0.8 bar. What would be the cost of completely refreshing the air every minute if air has a heat capacity of Cp; = 30 J/(mol K) and energy costs,$0.2 per kW hr?

Homework Equations

Energy Balance

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've simply used Q/ΔT=Cp to find the heat. But I'm not sure what to do or what formulas would be applicable from this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
katieisblonde said:

Homework Statement

It is thought that people develop respiratory infections during air travel because much of the airplane cabin air is recirculated. Airiines claim that using orlly fresh air in the cabins is too costly since at an altitude of 30 000 feet the outside conditions are -50°C and 0.1 bar, so that the air would have to be compressed and heated before being introduced into the cabin. The air- plane cabin has a volume of 100 m3 with air at the in- flight conditions of 25°C and 0.8 bar. What would be the cost of completely refreshing the air every minute if air has a heat capacity of Cp; = 30 J/(mol K) and energy costs,$0.2 per kW hr?

Homework Equations

Energy Balance

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've simply used Q/ΔT=Cp to find the heat. But I'm not sure what to do or what formulas would be applicable from this point.

You've started trying to apply the equations before even figuring out what needs to be done. Ask yourself, "what type of equipment would I need if I have to start out with air at the outside conditions and end up with air at the inside-cabin conditions? Do I need to process the air so that I change its pressure? Do I need to process the air so that I change its temperature? What kind of equipment is used for this?"

I think I need to heat at constant pressure, and then isothermally compress. so that would be Q=CpΔT and W=-pdv where you put P in terms of V using ideal gas law. is that a good way to approach this?

katieisblonde said:
I think I need to heat at constant pressure, and then isothermally compress. so that would be Q=CpΔT and W=-pdv where you put P in terms of V using ideal gas law. is that a good way to approach this?

No. You did well at identifying the two pieces of equipment needed (a compressor and a heater), but then you started messing with equations again. Before you start messing with the equations, you have to start thinking about the practical aspects of designing this system.

Please don't answer with equations again until you have thought out the practical aspects.

Ask yourself:
Which requires more compressional work (a) heating the gas first and then compressing it or (b) compressing it first and then heating it?

Which requires less equipment, adibatic compression or isothermal compression?

What happens to the temperature of a gas when you compress it adiabatically?

Can you "kill two birds with one stone" by compressing the gas adibatically, rather than isothermally?

After you answer these questions, you will be ready to start using equations.

I'm just butting into be able to track this thread.

FAQ: Find work needed to compress and heat air from -50C, .1bar to 25C, .8 bar

What is the formula for calculating the work needed to compress and heat air?

The formula for calculating the work needed is W = P(V2 - V1), where W is the work in Joules, P is the pressure in Pascals, V2 is the final volume, and V1 is the initial volume.

How do I convert temperatures from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in Celsius. In this case, -50C would be equal to 223.15K and 25C would be equal to 298.15K.

What are the units for pressure and volume in the work formula?

The units for pressure must be in Pascals and the units for volume must be in cubic meters in order for the work to be calculated correctly.

Why is the work needed to compress and heat air important?

The work needed to compress and heat air is important because it can help determine the efficiency of a compressor and the amount of energy required for a specific process or system.

Is there a way to reduce the work needed to compress and heat air?

Yes, the work needed can be reduced by using a more efficient compressor, increasing the initial temperature of the air, or decreasing the final pressure of the air.