Find x- and y- Intercepts....4

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, for the equation y = 2x^5 - 5x^4 + 5, the y-intercept is y = 5 and the x-intercept cannot be solved using elementary functions. Advanced techniques are needed to approximate the real roots.
mathdad
Find the x- and y-intercepts.

y = 2x^5 - 5x^4 + 5

Let x = 0

y = 2(0)^5 - 5(0)^4 + 5

y = 5

The y-intercept is y = 5 and it takes place at the point (0,5).

Let y = 0 to find the x-intercept.

0 = 2x^5 - 5x^4 + 5

I am stuck here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think $0 = 2x^5 - 5x^4 + 5$ has roots that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

More "nice" roots, right?

There's always a solution(s) for polynomials of degree 4 and lower (if one includes complex-valued results). Once we reach a degree of 5 we are, in general, out of luck (so to speak) but there are some quintics (polynomials of degree 5) that are solvable. I don't think the one we have here is, though.

A useful online tool is W|A (Wolfram Alpha). I will suggest that you familiarize yourself with this tool as it can aid insight into problems that may be difficult. :D

For any polynomial of degree 3 or more that doesn't succumb to the rational roots theorem to get down to a combination of linear/quadratic factors, I rely on numeric root finding techniques to approximate the real roots (and those are the only roots we need for finding intercepts). :D

You are saying that "nice" roots in this case require advanced techniques. I am not there yet. I get it now.

Related to Find x- and y- Intercepts....4

1. What are x- and y- intercepts?

X- and y- intercepts are points on a graph where a line crosses the x- and y- axes, respectively. The x-intercept is where the line crosses the horizontal x-axis, while the y-intercept is where the line crosses the vertical y-axis.

2. How do you find the x- and y- intercepts of a line?

To find the x-intercept, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x equal to 0 and solve for y. The resulting values of x and y will be the coordinates of the intercepts.

3. What is the significance of x- and y- intercepts in a graph?

The x- and y- intercepts can provide valuable information about the behavior of a line. The x-intercept represents the point where the line crosses the x-axis, which can give insight into the roots or solutions of an equation. The y-intercept represents the point where the line crosses the y-axis, which can give information about the initial value or starting point of a relationship.

4. Can a line have more than one x- or y- intercept?

Yes, a line can have multiple x- and y- intercepts. This occurs when the line crosses the axes more than once, or when the line is parallel to an axis. In these cases, there will be multiple points where the line intersects the x- or y- axis.

5. How can x- and y- intercepts be used to graph a line?

To graph a line using x- and y- intercepts, plot the x- and y- intercepts on the graph and then use a ruler to connect the points. This will create a straight line that passes through the intercepts. Additionally, the intercepts can be used to determine the slope of the line and to find other points on the line.