Find x-Bar Location for Distributed Loading | Torque Calculation

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the location of the centroid of a triangle, given that they know the length of each side and the orientation of the triangle.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

Replace the distributed loading with an equivalent resultant
force, and specify its location on the beam measured from
point O.

W = 3 kn/m

Homework Equations

F*xbar = torque

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the resultant forces:

(1/2)*3*3 = 4.5 kn
(1/2)*1.5*3 = 2.25 kn

4.5 + 2.25 = 6.75 kn

I know my general equation is:

6.75*xbar = torque

I want to solve for xbar.

xbar should equal 2.5m

Attachments

• media_491_49154f9f-447e-4c7d-a571-7c69ff7f2702_php900mg0.png
    media_491_49154f9f-447e-4c7d-a571-7c69ff7f2702_php900mg0.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 885
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the centroidal location of a right triangle? Your distributed load can be broken up into two triangular loads.

SteamKing said:
What's the centroidal location of a right triangle? Your distributed load can be broken up into two triangular loads.

I'm unsure, could you explain it to me?

If the centroid of a rectangle is located at half the length or half the depth, what is the centroid of a triangle?

If you're still stumped, you can always google 'centroid of right triangle'

SteamKing said:
If the centroid of a rectangle is located at half the length or half the depth, what is the centroid of a triangle?

If you're still stumped, you can always google 'centroid of right triangle'

If I multiply both distances by 1/3, I still do not get the proper answer.

I see, so when I approach the triangle from the one side I have 1/3 so the rest must be 2/3. But how do I know which is the 1/3 side and which is the 2/3 side?

shreddinglicks said:
I see, so when I approach the triangle from the one side I have 1/3 so the rest must be 2/3. But how do I know which is the 1/3 side and which is the 2/3 side?

If you have a right triangle with the pointy end at O, how far from O will the centroid be, 1/3 of the length of the base or 2/3 of the length of the base?
Remember, the location of the centroid coincides with the balance point of the triangle.

SteamKing said:
If you have a right triangle with the pointy end at O, how far from O will the centroid be, 1/3 of the length of the base or 2/3 of the length of the base?
Remember, the location of the centroid coincides with the balance point of the triangle.

It would have to be 2/3.

So, if I had a problem where I had to find, say a location at point, "A" that was directly under W. The distance would then be 1/3 for each triangle?

shreddinglicks said:
It would have to be 2/3.

So, if I had a problem where I had to find, say a location at point, "A" that was directly under W. The distance would then be 1/3 for each triangle?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. The choice of whether to use 1/3 or 2/3 of the length of the base as the centroid depends on the orientation of the triangle.

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what you are asking here. The choice of whether to use 1/3 or 2/3 of the length of the base as the centroid depends on the orientation of the triangle.

I meant a situation like the one pictured. I would use 1/3 for each triangle, and I would use 1/2 for the rectangle, correct?

Attachments

• ffe7121c-b38d-4bd3-bac6-af7530bbe8e6.jpeg
    ffe7121c-b38d-4bd3-bac6-af7530bbe8e6.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 898
shreddinglicks said:
I meant a situation like the one pictured. I would use 1/3 for each triangle, and I would use 1/2 for the rectangle, correct?

1/3 of the base for each triangle would be OK, as long as the reference was taken about a vertical line running thru the support at B.

I see, thanks for your help!

Related to Find x-Bar Location for Distributed Loading | Torque Calculation

1. What is x bar in statistics?

X bar, denoted by μ, is the symbol used to represent the sample mean in statistics. It is calculated by adding up all the values in a sample and dividing by the total number of values in that sample.

2. How do I find x bar?

To find x bar, you need to first collect a sample of data. Then, add up all the values in the sample and divide by the total number of values. The resulting value is the sample mean or x bar.

3. Can I use x bar to estimate the population mean?

Yes, x bar can be used as an estimate for the population mean. However, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the estimate will be.

4. What if my data has outliers? How will it affect my x bar?

If your data has outliers, they can significantly affect the value of x bar. In this case, it may be more appropriate to use a different measure of central tendency, such as the median.

5. Does the type of data affect how I find my x bar?

Yes, the type of data does affect how you find x bar. For example, if you have categorical data, you cannot find the mean and should use other measures of central tendency. Additionally, if you have skewed data, using the median may be a better measure of central tendency than x bar.