Find x such that the given trigonometric expression equals zero.

In summary, there is no real solution for finding x in the given expression as the numerator cannot equal 0. While there was a potential solution suggested, it was found to be incorrect.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find [FONT=MathJax_Math]\(\displaystyle x\) [/FONT]such that trigonometric \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\sin (3x) \cos (60^{\circ}-x)+1}{\sin (60^{\circ}-7x)-\cos (30^{\circ}+x)+m}=0\) where \(\displaystyle m\) is a fixed real number.

Hi all, I know the expression in the numerator has no real roots by checking it at W|A (plot the graph of y=sin(3x)cos(pi/3 -x)+1 - Wolfram|Alpha) and I daringly assumed the given expression can be rewritten in the form \(\displaystyle \dfrac{ab}{ac}=0\) but, I failed to factor the numerator no matter how hard that I tried. I must be missing something very important here.

Could anyone please help me out with this problem?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Find [FONT=MathJax_Math]\(\displaystyle x\) [/FONT]such that trigonometric \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\sin (3x) \cos (60^{\circ}-x)+1}{\sin (60^{\circ}-7x)-\cos (30^{\circ}+x)+m}=0\) where \(\displaystyle m\) is a fixed real number.

Hi all, I know the expression in the numerator has no real roots by checking it at W|A (plot the graph of y=sin(3x)cos(pi/3 -x)+1 - Wolfram|Alpha) and I daringly assumed the given expression can be rewritten in the form \(\displaystyle \dfrac{ab}{ac}=0\) but, I failed to factor the numerator no matter how hard that I tried. I must be missing something very important here.

Could anyone please help me out with this problem?

Thanks.
I don't think there is a real solution to this. For if $x$ is a real number satisfying this then we must have $\sin(3x)\cos (60-x)=-1$.

Thus we either have:
$\sin(3x)=1, \cos(60-x)=-1$
Or we have:
$\sin(3x)=-1,\cos(60-x)=1$.

Both of these two cases fail to have a solution. (You can check this analytically, that is, you don't need a machine for this.)

A fraction is 0 if and only if the numerator is 0 so "I know the expression in the numerator has no real roots" is all you need.

HallsofIvy said:
A fraction is 0 if and only if the numerator is 0 so "I know the expression in the numerator has no real roots" is all you need.

However the correct solution is missed. if we taken x = 30 ( assuming degrees)

sin 3x = - 1 and cos (60-x) = cos 90 = 1 we get

sin 3x cos(60-x) = - 1

kaliprasad said:
However the correct solution is missed. if we taken x = 30 ( assuming degrees)

sin 3x = - 1 and cos (60-x) = cos 90 = 1 we get

sin 3x cos(60-x) = - 1

Not correct.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Not correct.

sorry. It was my mistake it should be -30 and not 30.

it was an oversite

then sin (- 90) = - 1 and cos (60-(-30)) = cos 90 = 1

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
sorry. It was my mistake it should be -30 and not 30.

it was an oversite

then sin (- 90) = - 1 and cos (60-(-30)) = cos 90 = 1

cos (90)=0 .

This can be seen by

\(\displaystyle \cos^2 x +\sin^2 x =1 \)

The sum is always 1.

ZaidAlyafey said:
This can be seen by

\(\displaystyle \cos^2 x +\sin^2 x =1 \)

The sum is always 1.
I realize

it was my goofup
thanks

FAQ: Find x such that the given trigonometric expression equals zero.

1. How do I find the value of x in a trigonometric expression?

To find the value of x in a trigonometric expression, you can use algebraic equations and trigonometric identities to solve for x. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the expression and find the points where it intersects the x-axis, which will give you the values of x that make the expression equal to zero.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities that can help me solve for x?

Some common trigonometric identities that can help you solve for x include the Pythagorean identities, the double angle identities, and the sum and difference identities. These identities can help you simplify the expression and isolate x on one side of the equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the value of x in a trigonometric expression?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to find the value of x in a trigonometric expression. Many graphing calculators have a built-in function that allows you to input the expression and find the points where it intersects the x-axis, which will give you the values of x that make the expression equal to zero.

4. What is the importance of finding the value of x in a trigonometric expression?

Finding the value of x in a trigonometric expression is important because it allows you to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle. It also helps you understand the behavior of the trigonometric function and how it relates to the values of x.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric expressions to find the value of x?

One tip for solving trigonometric expressions to find the value of x is to use the unit circle and the values of the trigonometric functions at key angles (0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°). Another tip is to carefully apply the trigonometric identities and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression before solving for x.

Back