Find x Value for Cubic Function with TI-83

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the x value for a given y value in a cubic function using a TI-83 calculator. Several methods are suggested, including using the "Calc" menu and the "Intersection" function, or using the solver to solve for f(x)-k=0. Ultimately, it is determined that the best method is to plot the function f(x)-k and find where it crosses the x-axis or use the solver to solve for the x value.
cscott
With my buddies TI-83 I've plotted a cubic function but am wondering how I can find the x value for a given y value.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Plot both f(x), the cubic, and g(x)=k, the constant function.

On top of "Trace", click on "Calc."

Go through the menu, look for intersect, and follow the instructions.

(The menu titles might not be exact, I don't have one in front of me)

I'm not sure if I totally follow but I assumed k = "y value". In my case this was 10^12. I don't really know what the intersect function is asking by "first curve?", "second curve?" and "guess?", but I clicked past them. With lower numbers it seems to work but with 10^12 I get "ERR: NO SIGN CHNG"

While viewing the graph, click "2nd" then "Trace" to bring up the Calc menu. Select "Value" and enter the x value for which you want the y value. You don't use "Intersection" unless you want the point at which two or more curves intersect and from what you're saying there's only one curve.

z-component said:
While viewing the graph, click "2nd" then "Trace" to bring up the Calc menu. Select "Value" and enter the x value for which you want the y value. You don't use "Intersection" unless you want the point at which two or more curves intersect and from what you're saying there's only one curve.

I want to do the opposite of what you described! I need the x value for a given y value. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Oh, there is no way that I know of using the original graphing software on the TI-83 to do that. I suppose the reason is because there can be multiple x values for a single y value in a function, not the other way around.

sure he can, simply by doing it my way...

Basically, he wants to solve for f(x)-k=0. So he can either plot f(x)-k, and look for where it crosses the x-axis (I don't remember if a function does that), or make two curves, f(x) and k, and find the x-coordinate of their intersection. Their intersection is where f(x)=k.

Another way would be to go into the solver (i don't remember where it is to be honest, hopefully you know...), which solves equations for you.

tmc said:

Basically, he wants to solve for f(x)-k=0. So he can either plot f(x)-k, and look for where it crosses the x-axis (I don't remember if a function does that), or make two curves, f(x) and k, and find the x-coordinate of their intersection. Their intersection is where f(x)=k.

Another way would be to go into the solver (i don't remember where it is to be honest, hopefully you know...), which solves equations for you.

Yes, this worked. Thanks!

tmc said:

I understand where you're coming from now. That's a nice skill. I'll have to try that out sometime. :)

Related to Find x Value for Cubic Function with TI-83

1. How do I enter a cubic function into my TI-83 calculator?

To enter a cubic function into your TI-83 calculator, press the "Y=" button and use the arrow keys to move to the third equation line. Then, use the "X,T,θ,n" button to enter the function using the correct syntax. For example, to enter the function y = 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 3x + 1, you would enter "2X^3+5X^2-3X+1". Press "ENTER" when finished.

2. How do I find the x-value for a given y-value on a cubic function using my TI-83 calculator?

To find the x-value for a given y-value on a cubic function using your TI-83 calculator, you can use the "value" function. Press "2nd" and then "TRACE" to access the "CALC" menu. Choose "value" from the menu and enter the desired y-value. The calculator will then display the corresponding x-value.

3. Can I graph a cubic function on my TI-83 calculator?

Yes, you can graph a cubic function on your TI-83 calculator. Press the "Y=" button and enter the cubic function in the third equation line. Press "GRAPH" to view the graph. You can adjust the window settings by pressing "WINDOW" to see the entire graph.

4. How can I find the x-intercepts of a cubic function using my TI-83 calculator?

To find the x-intercepts of a cubic function using your TI-83 calculator, you can use the "zero" function. Press "2nd" and then "TRACE" to access the "CALC" menu. Choose "zero" from the menu and use the arrow keys to move the cursor near the x-intercept. Press "ENTER" to display the x-intercept.

5. Can I use my TI-83 calculator to solve a cubic equation for x?

Yes, you can use your TI-83 calculator to solve a cubic equation for x. Press "2nd" and then "MODE" to access the "MODE" menu. Scroll down to "EQN" and choose "3: Cubic". Press "GRAPH" and enter the coefficients of the cubic equation. Press "CALC" and then "2: Solve" to display the solutions for x.