Finding a Basis for a Reflection in R^2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis Beta in R^2 for a given linear transformation T that results in a diagonal beta matrix B. The transformation in question is a reflection about the line in R^2 spanned by [1 2] and [1 2]. The conversation also mentions a mistake in finding the reflection matrix and suggests using eigenvalues and eigenvectors to solve the problem.
Punkyc7
Find a basis Beta in R^2 such that the beta matrix B of the given linear transformation T is diagonal. The Reflection T about the line R^2 spanned by [1 2], [1 2] is suppose to be verticle.

B=S^-1AS

or

B=[[T(v1)]beta [T(v20]beta]

so i found the reflection matrix to be [4/13 6/13] for the first column and [6/13 4/13] for the second. I'm using e1 and e2 for the v1 and v2. Every time I try solving this I keep getting the same matrix and I don't believe that is right. I think there should be negative somewhere because it is a reflection and I can't figure out what I'm dong wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I mixed up the reflection matrix with the projection matrix so the reflection matrix should be should be [-5/13 12/13] for the first column and [12/13 5/13] for the second one

I think the way you are going about this completely wrong. You are not using the fact that this is a reflection. You are asked to find a basis in which the matrix is diagonal- and so has the eigenvalues of the transformation on its diagonal. Which means, in turn, that the basis must be the eigenvectors. And for a reflection, those eigenvalues and eigenvectors are very simple. Any vector lying on the line of reflection is "transformed" to itself- it is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1. Any vector perpendicular to that line is reflected to its negative- it is an eigenvector with eigenvalue -1.

We haven't come across eigenvalues yet, we have only done transformation. So if I wanted to use eigenvalues or vectors to solve this how would I go about doing it?

Related to Finding a Basis for a Reflection in R^2

1. What is a reflection in R^2?

A reflection in R^2 is a transformation of a point or object in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It involves flipping the point or object across a line, known as the line of reflection, resulting in a mirror image.

2. What are the key components of finding a basis for a reflection in R^2?

The key components of finding a basis for a reflection in R^2 are the line of reflection and the basis vectors. The line of reflection is the line that serves as the axis for the reflection, while the basis vectors are the two vectors that span the line of reflection and define the transformation.

3. How do you determine the line of reflection for a given reflection in R^2?

The line of reflection can be determined by finding the perpendicular bisector of the line connecting the original point and its reflected image. This line will serve as the axis for the reflection.

4. How many basis vectors are needed for a reflection in R^2?

Only two basis vectors are needed for a reflection in R^2. These vectors should be perpendicular to the line of reflection and have equal length to fully define the transformation.

5. Can finding a basis for a reflection in R^2 be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, finding a basis for a reflection in R^2 can be applied in real-world situations. For example, it can be used in computer graphics to create reflections of objects, or in architecture to create symmetrical designs.