Finding a Directional Derivative Given Other Directional Derivatives

In summary, the given information states that at point P, the partial derivatives of f with respect to x and y are 2 and -1, respectively, and the partial derivative of f with respect to u is 2√3 when u is a specific vector. To find the partial derivative of f with respect to v, which is a linear combination of i, j, and u, we can express v as a linear combination of i and j and use the chain rule to find the partial derivative. The final step is to find the remaining partial derivatives of f with respect to z using the given information.
Amrator

Homework Statement

Suppose ##D_if(P) = 2## and ##D_jf(P) = -1##. Also suppose that ##D_uf(P) = 2 \sqrt{3}## when ##u = 3^{-1/2} \hat i + 3^{-1/2} \hat j + 3^{-1/2} \hat k##. Find ##D_vf(P)## where ##v = 3^{-1/2}(\hat i + \hat j - \hat k)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$2\sqrt{3} = ∇f ⋅ 3^{-1/2}(\hat i + \hat j - \hat k)$$
$$= 3^{-1/2}(∂f/∂x + ∂f/∂y + ∂f/∂z)$$
$$6 = (∂f/∂x + ∂f/∂y + ∂f/∂z)$$

This is where I'm stuck. I would appreciate hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:

Homework Statement

Suppose ##D_if(P) = 2## and ##D_jf(P) = -1##. Also suppose that ##D_uf(P) = 2 \sqrt{3}## when ##u = 3^{-1/2} \hat i + 3^{-1/2} \hat j + 3^{-1/2} \hat k##. Find ##D_vf(P)## where ##v = 3^{-1/2}(\hat i + \hat j - \hat k)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$2\sqrt{3} = ∇f ⋅ 3^{-1/2}(\hat i + \hat j - \hat k)$$
$$= 3^{-1/2}(∂f/∂x + ∂f/∂y + ∂f/∂z)$$
$$6 = (∂f/∂x + ∂f/∂y + ∂f/∂z)$$

This is where I'm stuck. I would appreciate hints.

##v## is a linear combination of ##i, j## and ##u##.

Likes Amrator
##v = 1/\sqrt{3} <1, 0, 0> + 1/\sqrt{3} <0, 1, 0> - 1/\sqrt{3} <1/\sqrt{3}, 1/\sqrt{3}, 1/\sqrt{3}>##
##f(x,y,z) = 1/\sqrt{3} x + g(y,z)##
##f(x,y,z) = 1/\sqrt{3} y + h(x,z)##

I'm not sure what ∂f/∂z would be.

FAQ: Finding a Directional Derivative Given Other Directional Derivatives

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function along a specific direction or vector. It gives the slope of the function in the direction of the vector.

2. How is a directional derivative related to partial derivatives?

A directional derivative can be calculated using partial derivatives. It is the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and the unit vector in the specified direction.

3. Can a directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a directional derivative can be negative. This indicates a decrease in the function along the specified direction.

4. How do you find a directional derivative given other directional derivatives?

To find a directional derivative at a given point, you can use the directional derivative formula which involves the partial derivatives along the specified direction. The partial derivatives can be found using the given directional derivatives.

5. What is the significance of directional derivatives in real life applications?

Directional derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to optimize processes, analyze motion and rates of change, and calculate gradients in various fields.