Finding a field line of a vector field

In summary, the field line of a point through a point (a, b, c) is found using spherical coordinates and the scale factor is r.
S. Moger

Homework Statement

Find the field line of

[tex] \vec{E}(\vec{r}) = \frac{m}{4 \pi r^3} (2 \cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)[/tex]

through the point (a, b, c)

(Spherical coordinates).

m is a constantI know the answer, but I don't see what I do wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{d\vec{r}}{d \tau} = C \cdot \vec{E}(\vec{r}(\tau)) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dr}{d \tau} = C \cdot \frac{m}{4 \pi r^3} 2 \cos\theta[/tex]
[tex] \frac{d\theta}{d \tau} = C \cdot \frac{m}{4 \pi r^3} \sin\theta[/tex]
[tex] \frac{d\phi}{d \tau} = 0[/tex]

By setting [itex] C = \frac{4 \pi}{m}[/itex] I get

[tex] \frac{dr}{d \tau} = \frac{ 2 \cos\theta}{r^3}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{d\theta}{d \tau} = \frac{\sin\theta}{r^3} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d\phi}{d \tau} = 0[/tex]

To get rid of [itex]r^3[/itex] I divide [itex]\frac{d\theta}{d \tau}[/itex] by [itex]\frac{dr}{d \tau}[/itex] (must not be zero and so on) and get

[tex]2 \tan^{-1}\theta \frac{d\theta}{d \tau} = \frac{dr}{d \tau} [/tex]

Then I multiply both sides with [itex]d\tau[/itex] (which is a somewhat mysterious operation to me).

After integration I obtain [itex]2 \log (\sin\theta) = r + const[/itex]. I could of course determine the const and so on, but this isn't the answer anyway.

Where's the error and why?

Scale factors? But if so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\text{tan}^{-1} \theta## is the inverse tan function. That is, it is the angle that has tan equal to ##\theta##.

I think you want ##\text{tan} \theta \frac{dr}{d\tau} = 2 \frac{d\theta}{d\tau}## meaning ##\frac{dr}{d\theta} = \frac{1}{2} \text{tan} \theta##

EDIT: See my post below.

Last edited:
After staring at this for a bit, I think the whole problem statement is wrong. Could you please provide the original problem statement as it was given with no modifications?

I say this because you should have started with something like ##\vec E(x, y, z, t) = E_x \space \hat i + E_y \space \hat j + E_z \space \hat k##.

I'm guessing this would reduce to ##\vec E = E_x \space \hat i + E_y \space \hat j## due to the zero component.

Then you would simply solve ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{E_y}{E_x}##.

Ok, the notation might not be the best, [itex]\tan^{-1} \theta [/itex] above is meant to be [itex]1 / \tan\theta[/itex]The problem statement is unmodified, with the exception of the coordinates of interest that I generalized. It's given in spherical coordinates (or practically in polar as you said)

I get the right answer if I use the scale factor $$r$$ (used in your expression):

$$\frac{dr}{d \theta} = r \frac{E_r}{E_{\theta}}$$

So I think I made my error here

$$\frac{d\vec{r}}{d \tau} = C \cdot \vec{E}(\vec{r}(\tau))$$

which seems to hold for cartesian coordinates only.

To generalize I seem to require something like this, but I can't convince myself of it.

$$\frac{d\vec{r}}{d \tau} = C \cdot \frac{1}{h_i} \vec{E}(\vec{r}(\tau))$$

With
$$h_{\theta} = | \frac{ \partial{\vec{r}} }{ \partial{\theta} }| = r$$

Last edited:
Or is the field expressed in spherical coordinates?

Yes my bad if it's unclear, everything is in spherical coordinates.

theta would be the angle measured from the z axis

Ok, in a general case a change in cartesian coordinates can be described like this with other (normalized, orthogonal) base vectors [itex]\vec{e_i}[/itex]

$$ d\vec{r} = \sum_{i=1}^{3} h_i \vec{e_i} du_i $$

So I guess

$$\frac{d\vec{u}}{d \tau} = C \cdot \frac{1}{h_i} \vec{E}(\vec{u}(\tau))$$

could make sense.

Last edited:

Related to Finding a field line of a vector field

1. What is a field line?

A field line is a visual representation of a vector field, which is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity at each point in space.

2. How do you find a field line of a vector field?

To find a field line of a vector field, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the vector field and then trace a path along the direction of the vectors. Alternatively, you can use the mathematical equations that define the vector field to plot the field line.

3. Why are field lines important?

Field lines are important because they provide a visual representation of the behavior and characteristics of a vector field. They can help us understand how a physical quantity, such as electric or magnetic fields, behave in a given space.

4. Can a vector field have multiple field lines?

Yes, a vector field can have multiple field lines. In fact, most vector fields have an infinite number of field lines, as they extend to all points in space.

5. How can we use field lines in real-life applications?

Field lines have many real-life applications, such as in the study of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and weather patterns. They can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the flow of fluids or to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in electronic devices.