Finding a function y(x) given three parameters

In summary, The problem at hand involves optimizing an integral with the integral's integrand involving the first derivative of a function. To solve this, the Euler-Lagrange equation should be used to determine the candidate forms for the function that will optimize the integral.
DeltaT37

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 5.12.12 PM.png

This problem comes from a practice test that I am reviewing before my final. My main confusion comes from the mathematical implication of the integral being an extremum. The first two parameters are y(x=0) = 0 and y(x = π/2) = 1. The third says the integral from 0 to 1 of ∫[ (dy/dx)2 - y2 ]dx is an extremum.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly, the first two parameters are easily solved by y = sin(x). However, this third bit of information is very confusing to me. I first considered, in 1 dimension the first derivative of a function at an extremum is zero, and thus perhaps plugging in zero for dy/dx. That didn't seem right so I attempted to solve the integral, but couldn't figure out the first part to solve. Thirdly, I tried plugging in sin(x) and see what could be achieved, with a final result of something like .5-.27 = extremum (integral of sin2(x) from zero to one is the .27.) If possible, the guidance I am looking for is how to think about mathematically the fact that the the integrand, involving dy/dx is related to the extremum.

Thanks. Sorry if the formatting is off, first post here.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeltaT37 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 197657
This problem comes from a practice test that I am reviewing before my final. My main confusion comes from the mathematical implication of the integral being an extremum. The first two parameters are y(x=0) = 0 and y(x = π/2) = 1. The third says the integral from 0 to 1 of ∫[ (dy/dx)2 - y2 ]dx is an extremum.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly, the first two parameters are easily solved by y = sin(x). However, this third bit of information is very confusing to me. I first considered, in 1 dimension the first derivative of a function at an extremum is zero, and thus perhaps plugging in zero for dy/dx. That didn't seem right so I attempted to solve the integral, but couldn't figure out the first part to solve. Thirdly, I tried plugging in sin(x) and see what could be achieved, with a final result of something like .5-.27 = extremum (integral of sin2(x) from zero to one is the .27.) If possible, the guidance I am looking for is how to think about mathematically the fact that the the integrand, involving dy/dx is related to the extremum.

Thanks. Sorry if the formatting is off, first post here.

You need to use the Euler-Lagrange equation, to see what the candidate forms can be for ##y(x)## that optimize the integral.

Ray Vickson said:
You need to use the Euler-Lagrange equation, to see what the candidate forms can be for ##y(x)## that optimize the integral.
Okay thank you very much! This was the advice I was looking for. For future notice, should I assume that when I need to minimize an integral that has dy/dx in it, I should be looking out to use Euler-Lagrange equation? (Apologies again if its a silly question)

DeltaT37 said:
Okay thank you very much! This was the advice I was looking for. For future notice, should I assume that when I need to minimize an integral that has dy/dx in it, I should be looking out to use Euler-Lagrange equation? (Apologies again if its a silly question)
If it has both y and dy/dx in it, then yes: the problem of optimizing ##\int_a^b F(y(x), y'(x)) \, dx## belongs to the field of Calculus of Variations.

Related to Finding a function y(x) given three parameters

1. How do I find a function when given three parameters?

There are a few different methods for finding a function when given three parameters. One approach is to use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the function. Another method is to use a graphing calculator or software to create a visual representation of the function. Additionally, you could use trial and error to plug in different values for the parameters until you find a pattern or relationship.

2. What are the three parameters used for in finding a function?

The three parameters are typically used to represent three different variables or quantities in a given situation. These parameters can be used to describe a relationship between the variables and ultimately determine the function that relates them.

3. Can I use any three parameters to find a function?

In most cases, yes. However, it is important to make sure that the parameters you are using are relevant to the situation and that they accurately represent the variables you are interested in. It is also important to consider any limitations or assumptions that may apply when using specific parameters to find a function.

4. Is there a specific process for finding a function with three parameters?

No, there is not one specific process for finding a function with three parameters. The method you use will depend on the specific situation and the type of function you are trying to find. It may also depend on your own personal preferences and skills in solving mathematical problems.

5. How can I check if the function I found is correct?

One way to check if a function is correct is to plug in different values for the parameters and see if the resulting output matches the expected relationship between the variables. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and see if it matches the given data or if it exhibits the expected behavior. Additionally, you can consult with a peer or mentor to review your work and provide feedback on the accuracy of the function.