Finding a general formula for a sequence (x_k)

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions with increasing complexity that involve finding a general formula for a sequence defined by a recursion. The first question has a recursion with a characteristic equation that can be easily factored to find its roots. The second and third questions also have linear homogeneous recursions with constant coefficients, and the solving procedure is illustrated in a link provided by the person seeking help.
tommietang
I'm trying to do 3 questions, each one a bit more complex than the previous, but all have the same ideas. ( 2) has 1 more term than 1, 3) is with imaginary numbers)

Could someone please guide me on how to do them? Am I trying to substitute things into each other?

Suppose that the sequence x0, x1, x2... is defined by

1) x_0 = 4, x_1=1, x_(k+2) = -x_(k+1) + 6x_k

2) x_0 = 7, x_1=4, x_2=7, x_(k+3) = -5x_(k+2) + 2x_(k+1) + 24x_k

3) x_0 = 3, x_1=1, x_(k+2) = -6x_(k+1) - 10x_k

All 3 for k>=0
Find a general formula for x_k

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at the first recursion:

\(\displaystyle x_{k+2}=-x_{k+1}+6x_{k}\)

Can you state the characteristic equation and then find its roots?

MarkFL said:
Let's look at the first recursion:

\(\displaystyle x_{k+2}=-x_{k+1}+6x_{k}\)

Can you state the characteristic equation and then find its roots?

Is it x^2 = -x + 1
Solving for root: x = 1/2(-1 - sqrt(5)) and 1/2(sqrt(5)-1)

tommietang said:
Is it x^2 = -x + 1
Solving for root: x = 1/2(-1 - sqrt(5)) and 1/2(sqrt(5)-1)

No, the characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2+r-6=0\)

This factors nicely to give integral roots...

MarkFL said:
No, the characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2+r-6=0\)

This factors nicely to give integral roots...

Thank you sir, I wasn't sure how to approach the problem because I couldn't attend recent lectures. But this tip gave me the ability to solve all 3.

tommietang said:
Thank you sir, I wasn't sure how to approach the problem because I couldn't attend recent lectures. But this tip gave me the ability to solve all 3.

All the difference equation are linear homogeneous with constant coefficients and the solving procedure is illustrated here...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-ii-860.html

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Finding a general formula for a sequence (x_k)

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of the term in the sequence is denoted by a subscript, such as x1, x2, etc.

2. Why is finding a general formula for a sequence important?

Having a general formula for a sequence allows us to easily predict and calculate any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms. It also helps us understand the underlying pattern or rule behind the numbers in the sequence.

3. What are some common types of sequences?

Some common types of sequences include arithmetic sequences, where the difference between consecutive terms is constant, and geometric sequences, where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. There are also more complex sequences such as Fibonacci sequences and quadratic sequences.

4. How do you find a general formula for a sequence?

To find a general formula for a sequence, you need to analyze the pattern or rule that governs the sequence. This may involve looking at the differences or ratios between consecutive terms, or finding a recursive relationship between terms. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use algebraic methods to express it as a general formula.

5. Can there be more than one general formula for a sequence?

Yes, there can be more than one general formula for a sequence. This is because there may be multiple patterns or rules that can be used to generate the same sequence. It is important to check if a formula works for all the terms in the sequence before considering it as a general formula.