Finding a Homogeneous D.E. that has a particular solution

In summary, the problem is to find a homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients that has a given particular solution. The solution involves using annihilators for each term and results in the equation (D+1)((D-1)^3)(D^(2) + 9)y = 0 in differential operator form. The student is unsure if this is the correct answer and is seeking clarification.
Alex Ruiz

Homework Statement

The problem reads:

Find a homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients that has the following particular solution:

yp = e^(-t) + 2te^(t) + t^(2)e^(t) - sin(3t)

Express your equation in differential operator form. (Hint: What annihilators would you need to annihilate everything in this particular solution?)

Homework Equations

The annihilators that I put for each term were:

((D-1)^3) for (2te^(t) + t^(2)e^(t))

(D+1) for (e^(-t))

(D^(2) + 9) for (sin(3t))

The Attempt at a Solution

After plugging in I got:

(D+1)((D-1)^3)(D^(2) + 9)y = 0

I was wondering is this the correct answer since he stated to express the equation in differential operator form? Or is there another step I'm missing. If I'm doing this completley wrong I would greatly appreciate any clarity for this problem. Thank you in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks right to me. There may be some other simplification you could do, but I don't see anything wrong with what you have.

Related to Finding a Homogeneous D.E. that has a particular solution

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all terms involving the dependent variable and its derivatives have the same degree. This means that the equation can be written in the form of yn = f(x), where y is the dependent variable and n is the degree of the equation.

2. How do I know if a differential equation has a particular solution?

A differential equation has a particular solution if the equation can be satisfied by a specific value of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that when you plug in the values of the particular solution into the equation, it will make the equation true.

3. What is the process for finding a homogeneous differential equation with a particular solution?

The process for finding a homogeneous differential equation with a particular solution involves first rewriting the equation in the form of yn = f(x), where n is the degree of the equation. Then, you will need to use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to determine the particular solution that satisfies the equation. This involves plugging in the values of the particular solution into the equation and solving for the unknown coefficients.

4. Can a homogeneous differential equation have multiple particular solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous differential equation can have multiple particular solutions. This is because there can be more than one set of values that can satisfy the equation. However, it is important to note that each particular solution will have a different set of values for the unknown coefficients.

5. Why is finding a homogeneous differential equation with a particular solution important?

Finding a homogeneous differential equation with a particular solution is important because it allows us to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. By finding the particular solution, we can determine the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point, which can help us make predictions and analyze systems.