Finding a Hyperbola w/ 2 given points

In summary, the problem is asking for the equation of a hyperbola centered at the origin with points (-10,3pi/2) and (2,pi/2). The equations for a hyperbola are x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1 or y^2/a^2 - x^2/b^2 = 1. The second equation is the only one that can be used, but without more information, it is difficult to solve without guessing and checking. The given coordinates are most likely not in polar form, as they do not correspond to any hyperbola centered at the origin.
yopoe

Homework Statement

Find the equation for a hyperbola centered at the origin with points (-10,3pi/2) and (2,pi/2)

Homework Equations

x^2/a^2 -y^2/b^2=1 or y^2/a^2 - x^2/b^2 = 1

* r=ke/(1±ecos(theta))

*cos can be replaced with sin and the ± is either a plus or a minus depending on the directrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the second equation is the only one that can be used but I do not know how to solve with that equation without guessing and checking.

Using the first equation I attempted to plug in values for x and y (they did not check out) in the first equation but I am pretty sure that the coordinates are polar coordinates. I am not really sure what to do but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Sorry I do not have the original problem so I do not know the question word for word. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
yopoe said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation for a hyperbola centered at the origin with points (-10,3pi/2) and (2,pi/2)

I am pretty sure that the coordinates are polar coordinates.

If those are polar coordinates then they correspond to (0,10) and (0,2) in rectangular coordinates. No hyperbola centered at the origin could pass through both. (Assuming it isn't rotated, and maybe not even then.)

Last edited:

Related to Finding a Hyperbola w/ 2 given points

1. How do I find the equation of a hyperbola with two given points?

To find the equation of a hyperbola with two given points, you will need to use the standard form of a hyperbola equation. This form is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola, and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices. Plug in the given points to solve for h, k, a, and b, and then substitute these values into the standard form equation to find the equation of the hyperbola.

2. Can I find the equation of a hyperbola with only two points?

Yes, you can find the equation of a hyperbola with only two points. As long as the two points are not collinear, they will determine a unique hyperbola. Just make sure to use the standard form of the equation and solve for the necessary variables.

3. What if one of the given points is the center of the hyperbola?

If one of the given points is the center of the hyperbola, then you already have the values for h and k in the standard form equation. You will just need to use the distance formula to find the values for a and b, and then substitute them into the equation to get the final equation of the hyperbola.

4. Is there a specific method for finding a hyperbola with two given points?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding a hyperbola with two given points. This method involves using the standard form of the equation and solving for the center and distances to the vertices. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation to get the final equation of the hyperbola.

5. Can I use the same method to find a hyperbola with more than two given points?

No, the method for finding a hyperbola with two given points is specific to only two points. If you have more than two points, you will need to use a different method, such as the general form equation of a hyperbola or using the focus and directrix of the hyperbola.