Finding a Point of Inflexion for f(x)

• Thread starter cmkluza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the function ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}## is defined on the domain ##x≥0##. The maximum value of ##f(x)## is ##x=2##, as the exponentially growing term will increase at a much greater pace than the ##x^2## term. The points of inflexion on the graph of ##f## are located at ##x = \frac{4+\sqrt{40}}{6}##, which is obtained by taking the second derivative of ##f(x)## and setting it equal to zero.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

The function ##f## is defined on the domain ##x≥0## by ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##.
(a) Find the maximum value of ##f(x)##, and justify that it is a maximum.
(b) Find the ##x## coordinates of the points of inflexion on the graph of ##f##.

I believe that I did (a) correctly, but (b) is where I got stuck.

Homework Equations

Point of Inflexion Criteria:
  • Is 0 at ##f''(x)##
  • Changes Sign at ##f''(x) = 0##
I believe that's all that's really relevant, and of course differentiation, power/quotient rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##
##f'(x) = \frac{2xe^x - x^2e^x}{e^{2x}}##
∴ ##2xe^x - x^2e^x = 0##
##2xe^x = x^2e^x##
##2x = x^2##
##x=2##
Since the exponentially growing ##e^x## will increase at a much greater pace than the ##x^2## term, in ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##, there can be no other maxima.

(b)
This is the part I had trouble on. I figured the second derivative to be:
##f''(x) = \frac{3x^2-4x+2}{e^x}##
∴ ##3x^2-4x+2 = 0##
##x = \frac{4±\sqrt{40}}{6} \rightarrow x ≥ 0##
∴ ##x = \frac{4+\sqrt{40}}{6}##

I've probably made some mistake somewhere in my algebra, or more likely that annoying differentiation, but when I plug values on either side of that resulting x back into ##f''(x)##, there is no change in sign. Am I missing something? Have I made a mistake somewhere in my algebra or calculus? I don't believe there could be any other points that equal zero in the equation I've generated, so where'd I go wrong?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

The function ##f## is defined on the domain ##x≥0## by ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##.
(b) Find the ##x## coordinates of the points of inflexion on the graph of ##f##.

Homework Equations

• Is 0 at ##f''(x)##
I believe that's all that's really relevant, and of course differentiation, power/quotient rules.

(a)
∴ ##2xe^x - x^2e^x = 0##
##2xe^x = x^2e^x##
##2x = x^2##
##x=2##
Since the exponentially growing ##e^x## will increase at a much greater pace than the ##x^2## term, in ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##, there can be no other maxima.

(b)
∴ ##3x^2-4x+2 = 0##

I've probably made some mistake somewhere in my algebra, or more likely that annoying differentiation, but when I plug values on either side of that resulting x back into ##f''(x)##, there is no change in sign. Am I missing something? Have I made a mistake somewhere in my algebra or calculus? I don't believe there could be any other points that equal zero in the equation I've generated, so where'd I go wrong?

Using the quotient rule to take the first and second derivatives is the hard way to go.

Re-write f(x) = x2 * e-x instead and take both derivatives again. This can serve as a check on your original work, which I don't think is entirely correct, especially f"(x). Note: f'(x) can be simplified from your result.

SteamKing said:
Using the quotient rule to take the first and second derivatives is the hard way to go.

Re-write f(x) = x2 * e-x instead and take both derivatives again. This can serve as a check on your original work, which I don't think is entirely correct, especially f"(x). Note: f'(x) can be simplified from your result.

I've just double checked. First derivative is (presumably) correct, and simplified down to:
##f'(x)=\frac{2x-x^2}{e^x}##
Second derivative I did indeed get a different result for:
##f''(x)=\frac{x^2-3x}{e^x}##

After that I figured ##x=3## and it all worked out. Thanks for your suggestion! I don't know why I didn't go for the power rule in the first place, but anyways, thanks for your assistance!

cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

• Is 0 at ##f''(x)##

(a)
∴ ##2xe^x - x^2e^x = 0##
##2xe^x = x^2e^x##
##2x = x^2##
##x=2##

(b)
∴ ##3x^2-4x+2 = 0##

Please: never again write ##1/e^x##; always convert it to ##e^{-x}##. Believe it or not, that will simplify your life a lot!

Related to Finding a Point of Inflexion for f(x)

1. What is a point of inflexion for a function?

A point of inflexion for a function is a point on the curve where the concavity of the function changes. In other words, it is a point where the function changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa.

2. How can I identify a point of inflexion for a function?

To identify a point of inflexion for a function, you can take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. The x-value of this point will be the x-coordinate of the point of inflexion. You can also plot the function and visually identify where the concavity changes.

3. What is the significance of finding a point of inflexion?

Finding a point of inflexion can provide important information about the behavior of a function. It can help identify critical points, such as maximum or minimum points, and can also be used to determine the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing.

4. Are there any special techniques for finding a point of inflexion?

Yes, there are a few special techniques that can be used to find a point of inflexion. These include using the first and second derivative tests, using the concavity and inflexion point theorem, and using graphical methods such as sketching the curve and identifying the point of inflexion.

5. Can a function have more than one point of inflexion?

Yes, a function can have more than one point of inflexion. In fact, a function can have an infinite number of points of inflexion, depending on the complexity of the function and the number of changes in concavity. It is important to carefully analyze the function to identify all possible points of inflexion.