Finding a Respected Online University - Advice Needed

• Schools
  • Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pursuing further education online and asks for suggestions for respected online universities. The conversation mentions the Open University in the UK and suggests fully accredited universities that offer online degrees. The caveat of self-discipline and difficulty is mentioned. The University of Phoenix is also mentioned as a well-known online school in the business field.
NeoDevin
I'm thinking about pursuing further education online (haven't decided what program yet), and was wondering if anyone could suggest good online universities, from which a degree would be respected by other institutions/employers?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The only one I can recommend is the open university - but it's in the UK.

NeoDevin said:
I'm thinking about pursuing further education online (haven't decided what program yet), and was wondering if anyone could suggest good online universities, from which a degree would be respected by other institutions/employers?

Thanks

Once you decided on what area you are interested in, you'll probably find that there are quite a few fully accredited universities that offer degrees via online format (i.e. distance education). Most, if not all of them, will be the exact same degree you get by sitting in a classroom.

Caveat: they require more self-discipline and are generally harder since you don't have a face to face and student to student interaction.

CS

If you're looking for schools with solid reputations, try Ivy-League, even though the cost is astronomical. Besides that, I do know that the University of Phoenix is a well known online school that companies respect, but they mainly deal with Business.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll post again if/when I decide what I want to take.

FAQ: Finding a Respected Online University - Advice Needed

What factors should I consider when choosing an online university?

When looking for a respected online university, there are a few key factors to consider. First, make sure the university is accredited by a reputable organization. This ensures that the school meets certain academic standards and that your degree will be recognized by other institutions. Additionally, consider the program offerings and the reputation of the faculty. Look for reviews and rankings of the university to get a sense of its overall reputation. Finally, consider the cost and financial aid options available.

How can I determine if an online university is legitimate?

One way to determine if an online university is legitimate is to check its accreditation. Legitimate universities will be accredited by recognized organizations such as the Higher Learning Commission or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. You can also research the university's reputation and program offerings to get a sense of its credibility. Be cautious of universities that make unrealistic promises or have a lack of information available about their accreditation and faculty.

What resources are available to help me find a respected online university?

There are several resources available to help you find a respected online university. You can start by researching online university rankings and reviews from reputable sources. You can also consult with a guidance counselor or academic advisor for recommendations. Additionally, many universities have admissions counselors who can provide information and answer any questions you may have.

What are the benefits of attending an online university?

There are many potential benefits to attending an online university. Online education offers flexibility and convenience, allowing you to complete coursework on your own schedule from anywhere with an internet connection. It also allows you to continue working or fulfilling other responsibilities while pursuing your degree. Additionally, online education can be more cost-effective and may offer a wider range of program options than traditional universities.

How can I make sure I succeed in an online university program?

To succeed in an online university program, it is important to have strong time management and self-motivation skills. Make sure to stay organized and set aside dedicated time for coursework. Take advantage of any resources provided by the university, such as tutors or online study groups. It can also be helpful to reach out to professors or classmates for support and to actively participate in online discussions and assignments.

Back