Finding a specific current in a circuit using Mesh current analysis

In summary: You'd then do the same for loop 2, only this time subtract 5/2 from the i3 entry. The end result would be the same as your original solution, which is why this method is called inspection.In summary, the voltage sources in the circuit produce a sum of voltages in each of the 3 loops, and the mesh current equations are determined by solving for the mesh currents in each of the 3 loops.
november1992

Homework Statement

Develop the mesh-current matrix equation for the circuit.
http://i.imgur.com/tvZA0.png

Homework Equations

Ʃ[itex]V_{n}[/itex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Mesh current analysis to find 4 equations, but the equations for the first and second mesh are not related to the 4th. If I make a matrix equation out of these equations I won't get the right answer.

50I1 - 20I2 - 20 I3 + 0I4 = 12
-20I1 + 50I2 - 40I3 +0I4 = 0
-20I1 - 20I2 +50I3 - 10I4 = 0
0I1 + 0I2 - 10I3 + 50I4 = 0

The textbook I'm using has a procedure for using Mesh Current:

Step 1: identify all meshes and assign each of them an unknown mesh current. For convenience, define the mesh currents to be clockwise in direction.

Step 2: Apply Kirchoff's voltage law to each mesh.

Step 3: Solve the resultant simultaneous equations to determine the mesh currents.

The examples in the book only have a maximum of 3 meshes and they always are touching. I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is similar to the one I'm trying to solve. When I try to solve this using a matrix I get a different answer. I'm confused.

http://i.imgur.com/U0W9u.png

If meshes don't touch then the entries in the matrix for the shared resistances are zero as you've done. That's fine. It just means that the influence of one such mesh on the other will occur though interactions with other intermediary meshes which do touch.

Your equations look okay except for the third term in the second equation (-40I3). Recheck that one.

Note that there is a simple procedure for filling out the resistance matrix directly by inspection:
1. The terms on the diagonal contain the sum of all resistances in the given loop. So, for example, the entry ##a_{22}## would be the sum of all resistances in the loop i2.

2. The off diagonal terms ##a_{ij}## for ##i \ne j## are minus the sum of the resistances shared by the loops i and j.

The voltage vector entries are the sum of the voltage sources for each loop (voltages are summed in the direction of the mesh current).

There is a natural symmetry to the off diagonal entries of the resistance matrix that you should be able to spot, so the matrix can be filled out quickly by inspection.

Yeah, that is much easier. Thanks for the help.

The inspection method doesn't work with circuits that have dependent sources, so I tried using Mesh current on this circuit but I end up with wrong answers on all of the currents. I'm pretty sure my algebra is right.

http://i.imgur.com/nPBYW.png25I1 - 10I2 - 5I3 -2.5I = 0
25I2 - 10I1 - 5I3 = -10
35I3 -5I1 -5I2 + 2.5I = 0

I= 10I1-10I2
2.5I = 25I1-25I2
-2.5I = 25I2 - 25I1-5I1 + 15I2 - 5I3 = 0
-10I1 + 25I2 - 5I3 = -10
20I1 - 30 I2 + 35I3 = 0I1 = 10/3A correct answer: -4/15
I2 = 2/3A correct answer: -8/15A
I3 = -4/3A correct answer: -2/15A

Last edited:
Your mesh equations don't look right.

You can still write them by inspection, although it's a bit trickier. The controlled voltage source appears as a voltage rise in loop 1, and its value is (5/2)(i1 - i2). In the mesh matrix you'd subtract 5/2 from the i1 entry for loop 1, and add 5/2 to the i2 entry for loop 1 (where 5/2 = 2.5, using whole numbers to avoid decimals during the solving process so as to end up with results the same as your given solution). Do the same for loop 3 which also contains the source, only note that there it's a voltage drop rather than a rise, so add 5/2 to the i1 entry and subtract 5/2 from the i2 entry.

Related to Finding a specific current in a circuit using Mesh current analysis

1. What is mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits and determine the individual currents flowing through each loop or "mesh" in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's voltage law and is often used to solve for specific currents in complex circuits.

2. When should I use mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis is most useful for circuits that have multiple current sources and resistors connected in a series or parallel configuration. It can also be used for circuits with voltage sources, but in those cases it may be easier to use other methods such as nodal analysis.

3. How do I set up a mesh current analysis?

To set up a mesh current analysis, you will need to identify all the loops or "meshes" in the circuit and assign a current variable to each one. You will also need to label the direction of each current based on the assumed direction of current flow. Next, you will write equations using Kirchhoff's voltage law for each mesh. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the desired current.

4. What are the advantages of using mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis allows for a systematic approach to analyzing complex circuits, which can be useful for circuits with multiple loops and current sources. It can also be more intuitive and easier to follow than other methods, such as nodal analysis, for certain circuit configurations.

5. What are the limitations of mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis may not be suitable for circuits with non-linear elements or variable resistors. It also requires a good understanding of Kirchhoff's voltage law and may be more time-consuming compared to other methods for simpler circuits. Additionally, mesh current analysis may not be as accurate as other methods when there are significant errors in the assumed direction of current flow.