Finding a vector given a tangent vector

In summary: Don't forget you are integrating a vector -- both components and each component gets its own constant. And your answer for r will be a vector.
tsamocki

Homework Statement

Find a tangent vector r that satisfies r(0)= (e^(1),0) given T(t) = (-e^(cos(t)sin(t)),cos(t)), where t is an element of [0,2π]

Homework Equations

Tangent vector T = r'(t)/(norm(r'(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that r(t) = ∫r'(t), and that the norm of r(t) = 1; but i am having a hard time identifying a function compatible with the tangent vector that also has a norm of 1. I also attempted to find a value for t that would force the exponential aspect of -e (cos(t)sin(t)) to equal 1, while also allowing cos(t) = 0, but this did not work. Now I'm stuck second guessing myself.

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
tsamocki said:

Homework Statement

Find a tangent vector r that satisfies r(0)= (e^(1),0) given T(t) = (-e^(cos(t)sin(t)),cos(t)), where t is an element of [0,2π]

This question doesn't make any sense to me. Your T isn't a unit vector in the first place.

Sorry, maybe I've omitted something important: for each (t), the function T provides a tangent vector to an assortment of curves. The curve r exists in this assortment; find r that satisfies r(0) = (e^1, 0).

tsamocki said:
Sorry, maybe I've omitted something important: for each (t), the function T provides a tangent vector to an assortment of curves. The curve r exists in this assortment; find r that satisfies r(0) = (e^1, 0).

Are you trying to find a vector function r(t) satisfying r(0) =<e,0> and such that r'(t) = T(t)? Is that it? And if so, are you sure the first component of T isn't suppsed to be [itex]-\sin(t)e^{\cos t}[/itex] instead of what you have written?

LCKurtz said:
Are you trying to find a vector function r(t) satisfying r(0) =<e,0> and such that r'(t) = T(t)? Is that it? And if so, are you sure the first component of T isn't suppsed to be [itex]-\sin(t)e^{\cos t}[/itex] instead of what you have written?

Yes i am!

It is given in wolfram mathematica form T(t) = (-exp(cos(t))sin(t), cos(t)); so now that you think about it, i could see it being T(t) = -sin(t)e^(cos(t)), cos(t).

I apologize for my errors.:blushing:

tsamocki said:
Yes i am!

It is given in wolfram mathematica form T(t) = (-exp(cos(t))sin(t), cos(t)); so now that you think about it, i could see it being T(t) = -sin(t)e^(cos(t)), cos(t).

I apologize for my errors.:blushing:

And now that the problem is stated clearly, you see how to solve it, right?

LCKurtz said:
And now that the problem is stated clearly, you see how to solve it, right?

Would i need to integrate it in order to get a function of 0, r(0) = (e,0)?

rdr = e^(cos(t))+constant, ∫rdr = sin(t)+constant; if t=0, the function turns into the desired form.

Is this on the right track?

tsamocki said:
Would i need to integrate it in order to get a function of 0, r(0) = (e,0)?

rdr = e^(cos(t))+constant, ∫rdr = sin(t)+constant; if t=0, the function turns into the desired form.

Is this on the right track?

Don't forget you are integrating a vector -- both components and each component gets its own constant. And your answer for r will be a vector. But, yes, it is that easy.

Related to Finding a vector given a tangent vector

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. What is a tangent vector?

A tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. How do you find a vector given a tangent vector?

To find a vector given a tangent vector, you first need to know the point on the curve where the tangent vector is located. Then, you can use the derivative of the curve at that point to calculate the slope of the tangent vector. Finally, you can use the slope and the point to determine the vector.

4. What is the relationship between a vector and a tangent vector?

A vector and a tangent vector are related in that a tangent vector is a specific type of vector that represents the direction and rate of change of a curve at a specific point. However, a vector can represent any direction and magnitude, while a tangent vector is specific to a curve and a point on that curve.

5. In what fields is finding a vector given a tangent vector useful?

Finding a vector given a tangent vector is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be applied to problems involving motion, forces, and rates of change in various systems and equations.