Finding a vector not included in this span

In summary, the student is trying to figure out if they can make a vector smaller in order to solve an equation without it being in the span of the previous vectors. They are using a basis and checking if the vectors are linear independent.
lo2

Homework Statement

I have this span, spanned by these three vectors in R^5:

[itex]\underline{a_1}=
\left( \begin{array}{c}
2 \\
3 \\
1 \\
4 \\
0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

[itex]\underline{a_2}=
\left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\
-1 \\
2 \\
4 \\
3 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

[itex]\underline{a_3}=
\left( \begin{array}{c}
3 \\
4 \\
-1 \\
3 \\
5 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thinking about looking at this equation (where A consists of a1, a2 and a3):

Ax=b

And then reduce A to an identity matrix, and where b is just any vector, b = (b1, b2, b3, b4, b5). And then I could decide b so that it is not a solution to this equation, which means it cannot be written as a linear combination of the three a's, which means it is not in the span of these vectors.

So is the correct approach?

And Maple does not seem to want to solve this matrix with all these unknowns, so have you any idea why that is?

Physics news on Phys.org
So wait, you have the span of those three vectors and you're trying to determine if you can make the set of vectors smaller?

If so, solve Ax = 0, not Ax = b. I might be misunderstanding you here.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
So wait, you have the span of those three vectors and you're trying to determine if you can make the set of vectors smaller?

If so, solve Ax = 0, not Ax = b. I might be misunderstanding you here.

No I just have to come up with a vector in R^5 that does not lie in span(a1, a2, a3).

Try the row reduction again. Also express in this basis the vector

[tex]\underline{a_4}=
\left( \begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
0 \\
4 \\
0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Just came to think of something:

I have expanded a1, a2, and a3 to a basis for R^5 by adding e1 = (1,0,0,0,0) and e2 = (0,1,0,0,0).

So since they are in this basis they have to be linear independent of a1, a2 and a3 right? And hence e1 and e2 do not lie in the span of a1, a2 and a3?

Yes you can pick two vectors, just check they are not in the span of previous vectors. Those two are not.

Ok thanks for the help! :)

Related to Finding a vector not included in this span

1. What does it mean to find a vector not included in a span?

Finding a vector not included in a span means finding a vector that cannot be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. In other words, it is a vector that cannot be created by combining the given vectors using scalar multiplication and addition.

2. Why is it important to find a vector not included in a span?

It is important to find a vector not included in a span because it helps us determine the dimension of the span. If we are able to find a vector not in the span, then the span must be a proper subspace of the vector space.

3. How do you find a vector not included in a span?

To find a vector not included in a span, we can use the method of elimination. We start by assuming a vector and then check if it can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. If it cannot, then we have found our vector not in the span. If it can, we try another vector until we find one that cannot be written as a linear combination.

4. What if I cannot find a vector not included in a span?

If you cannot find a vector not included in a span, it means that the given set of vectors spans the entire vector space. This also means that the dimension of the span is equal to the dimension of the vector space.

5. Can a vector not included in a span still be part of the vector space?

Yes, a vector not included in a span can still be part of the vector space. A span is a subspace of the vector space, and a vector not included in the span may belong to another subspace or the vector space itself.