Finding $a_n$s for $f(z)$ in a Taylor Series

In summary: I don't know how to prove this, but I can't immediately see a counterexample.So, for example... Consider the function $f(z)= e^{1/(1-z^2)}$, which has an essential singularity at $z_0 = 1$. Its Laurent series is... $\displaystyle f(z)=e+\frac{e}{2}z^2+\frac{5e}{24}z^4+\frac{61e}{720}z^6+\frac{277e}{8064}z^8+...\ $... so that we have ...$\display
pantboio
Consider the function $$f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{1-z}}$$ It has an essential singularity at $z_0=1$ and hence it can be expanded in a Laurent series at $z_0$. But I'm interested in Taylor expansion. The function is analytic in the unit open disc at the origin, so I'm looking for $a_n$ where $f(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nz^n$ for $|z|<1$. How can i find $a_n$'s?

Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
Consider the function $$f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{1-z}}$$ It has an essential singularity at $z_0=1$ and hence it can be expanded in a Laurent series at $z_0$. But I'm interested in Taylor expansion. The function is analytic in the unit open disc at the origin, so I'm looking for $a_n$ where $f(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nz^n$ for $|z|<1$. How can i find $a_n$'s?

They will be the coefficients from the Maclaurin expansion (Taylor series about \(z_0=0\) )

CB

pantboio said:

The coefficient of order n of the Taylor Series of $f(z)$ is given by...

$\displaystyle a_{n} = \frac{1}{n!}\ \frac{d^{n}}{d z^{n}} e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \text{in}\ z=0$ (1)

... so that we have ...$\displaystyle f(z)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \implies a_{0}=e$

$\displaystyle f^{(1)}(z)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \frac{1}{(1-z)^{2}} \implies a_{1}=e$

$\displaystyle f^{(2)}(z)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \{\frac{1}{(1-z)^{4}} + \frac{2}{(1-z)^{3}}\ \} \implies a_{2}=e\ \frac{3}{2}$

$\displaystyle f^{(3)}(z)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \{\frac{6}{(1-z)^{4}} + \frac{6}{(1-z)^{5}} + \frac{1}{(1-z)^{6}}\ \} \implies a_{2}=e\ \frac{13}{6}$

Of course it is possible to proceed... may be that with little more efforts a general formula for the $a_{n}$ can be found...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
The coefficient of order n of the Taylor Series of $f(z)$ is given by...

$\displaystyle a_{n} = \frac{1}{n!}\ \frac{d^{n}}{d z^{n}} e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \text{in}\ z=0$ (1)

... so that we have ...$\displaystyle f(x)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \implies a_{0}=e$

$\displaystyle f^{(1)}(x)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \frac{1}{(1-z)^{2}} \implies a_{1}=e$

$\displaystyle f^{(2)}(x)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \{\frac{1}{(1-z)^{4}} + \frac{2}{(1-z)^{3}}\ \} \implies a_{2}=e\ \frac{3}{2}$

$\displaystyle f^{(3)}(x)= e^ {\frac{1}{1-z}}\ \{\frac{1}{(1-z)^{4}} + \frac{2}{(1-z)^{3}} + \frac{4}{(1-z)^{5}} + \frac{6}{(1-z)^{3}}\ \} \implies a_{2}=e\ \frac{13}{6}$

Of course it is possible to proceed... may be that with little more efforts a general formula for the $a_{n}$ can be found...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

(you have a typo, you have a power of 3 where there should be a power of 6, also you are confusing the use of x and z)

That was the easy part which I am sure the OP could do for themselves. In fact this is a purely mechanisable process; Maxima gives the first nine terms:

\[f(z)= e+e\,z+\frac{3\,e\,{z}^{2}}{2}+\frac{13\,e\,{z}^{3}}{6}+\frac{73\,e\,{z}^{4}}{24}+\frac{167\,e\,{z}^{5}}{40}+\frac{4051\,e\,{z}^{6}}{720}+\frac{37633 \, e \, {z}^{7}}{5040}+\frac{43817\,e\,{z}^{8}}{4480}+...\]

Finding a general formula for \(a_n\) is the tricky part, though induction looks promising in this case.

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
Maxima gives the first nine terms:

\[f(z)= e+e\,z+\frac{3\,e\,{z}^{2}}{2}+\frac{13\,e\,{z}^{3}}{6}+\frac{73\,e\,{z}^{4}}{24}+\frac{167\,e\,{z}^{5}}{40}+\frac{4051\,e\,{z}^{6}}{720}+\frac{37633 \, e \, {z}^{7}}{5040}+\frac{43817\,e\,{z}^{8}}{4480}+...\]
The coefficient of $z^n$ is $\dfrac{eA_n}{n!}$, where $A_n$ is the $n$th term in the Sloane sequence A000262. That link gives a number of other contexts in which the same sequence occurs. It also gives a formula for $A_n$ in terms of a certain confluent hypergeometric function.

CaptainBlack said:
(you have a typo, you have a power of 3 where there should be a power of 6, also you are confusing the use of x and z)

That was the easy part which I am sure the OP could do for themselves. In fact this is a purely mechanisable process; Maxima gives the first nine terms:

Finding a general formula for \(a_n\) is the tricky part, though induction looks promising in this case.

CB
i was looking for a a general formula for $a_n$, in order to compute the limit
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$$

pantboio said:
i was looking for a a general formula for $a_n$, in order to compute the limit
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$$
The Sloane link gives the recurrence relation $A_n = (2n-1)A_{n-1} - (n-1)(n-2)A_{n-2}$, from which $\dfrac{A_n}{A_{n-1}} \approx n+1$. If you then put $a_n= \dfrac{eA_n}{n!}$, you get $\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = 1.$

Opalg said:
The Sloane link gives the recurrence relation $A_n = (2n-1)A_{n-1} - (n-1)(n-2)A_{n-2}$, from which $\dfrac{A_n}{A_{n-1}} \approx n+1$. If you then put $a_n= \dfrac{eA_n}{n!}$, you get $\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = 1.$
unfortunately, this is the opposite of what i was hoping, since I'm looking for a function $f$, holomorphic in an open set containing the closed unit disc, with an essential singularity at $z_0$ with $|z_0|=1$, with taylor expansion $\sum a_nz^n$ in the unit open disk and such that $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\neq z_0$

pantboio said:
i'm looking for a function $f$, holomorphic in an open set containing the closed unit disc, with an essential singularity at $z_0$ with $|z_0|=1$, with taylor expansion $\sum a_nz^n$ in the unit open disk and such that $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\neq z_0$
Interesting! You can get an example of this in a rather trivial way with the function $\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^2}\Bigr)$. This, being an analytic function of $z^2$, will have $a_n=0$ whenever $n$ is odd. So $\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ will be alternately undefined and 0, and $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ will not exist.

But I'm guessing that what you want is for the limit $z_0 = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ to exist, but for $z_0$ not to be an essential singularity. My first attempt was the function $(1-z)\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^2}\Bigr)$. For that function, $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = -1$, but unfortunately $-1$ is an essential singularity. Similarly, the function $(1+iz-z^2-iz^3)\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^4}\Bigr)$ has $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = i$, but $i$ is an essential singularity. In the same way, for any root of unity $z_0$ you can construct a function analytic in the unit disc, with $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = z_0$, but with an essential singularity at $z_0$.

Those examples somehow give the impression of something that is meant to happen. It makes me wonder whether instead of looking for a counterexample you should be looking for a theorem. Conjecture: If $\displaystyle f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nz^n$ is analytic in the open unit disc, with an essential singularity somewhere on the unit circle, and the limit $z_0 = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ exists, then $f(z)$ has an essential singularity at $z_0.$

Last edited:
Opalg said:
Interesting! You can get an example of this in a rather trivial way with the function $\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^2}\Bigr)$. This, being an analytic function of $z^2$, will have $a_n=0$ whenever $n$ is odd. So $\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ will be alternately undefined and 0, and $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ will not exist.

But I'm guessing that what you want is for the limit $z_0 = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ to exist, but for $z_0$ not to be an essential singularity. My first attempt was the function $(1-z)\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^2}\Bigr)$. For that function, $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = -1$, but unfortunately $-1$ is an essential singularity. Similarly, the function $(1+iz-z^2-iz^3)\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^4}\Bigr)$ has $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = i$, but $i$ is an essential singularity. In the same way, for any root of unity $z_0$ you can construct a function analytic in the unit disc, with $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} = z_0$, but with an essential singularity at $z_0$.

Those examples somehow give the impression of something that is meant to happen. It makes me wonder whether instead of looking for a counterexample you should be looking for a theorem. Conjecture: If $\displaystyle f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nz^n$ is analytic in the open unit disc, with an essential singularity somewhere on the unit circle, and the limit $z_0 = \displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}$ exists, then $f(z)$ has an essential singularity at $z_0.$

Thank you for all explanations and examples. What i was originally requested to prove was the following: let $f$ be analytic in the closed unit disc, except for an isolated singularity (of not specified type) on the unit circle. Then prove that $\lim\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}=z_0$. I started from the case $z_0$= simple pole, and i was able to prove that, and adapting the same argument i could prove the same for a pole of arbitrary order. Then i disprove the fact for $z_0$ removable. Finally i tried to prove/disprove for essential. But you gave me that counterexample, hence the fact is definitely false if $z_0$ is not a pole. Maybe my professor simply forgot to specify that the singularity should be a pole.

If f(*) is analytic in $z=0$ and has a singularity in $z_{0}$ on the unit circle and its Taylor series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}\ z^{n}$ converges for any $|z|<1$ and diverges in $z_{0}$, then for the ratio test it must be $\displaystyle \ |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\ z|<1$ for all $|z|<1$. Combining all these results we obtain...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \lim_{z \rightarrow z_{0}\ , |z|<1} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\ z = 1 \implies \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}} = z_{0}$ (1)

If the Taylor series converges in $z=z_{0}$ it has to be examined if the (1) is valid or not...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Opalg said:

I realized just now that $\exp\Bigl(\dfrac1{1-z^2}\Bigr)$ has two essential singularities on the unit circle, while I'm searching for a counterexample with only one essential singularity

FAQ: Finding $a_n$s for $f(z)$ in a Taylor Series

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial function of the variable x. It is used to approximate a function and is named after mathematician Brook Taylor.

Why do we need to find $a_n$s for $f(z)$ in a Taylor Series?

Finding the coefficients $a_n$ in a Taylor Series allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial function. This is useful for solving complex problems or for evaluating functions that are difficult to compute directly. It also allows us to find derivatives and integrals of functions.

How do we find the $a_n$s for $f(z)$ in a Taylor Series?

The $a_n$ coefficients can be found using a formula that involves taking derivatives of the function $f(z)$ and evaluating them at a specific point. This point is known as the center of the Taylor Series and is typically denoted as $x_0$.

What is the significance of the center point in a Taylor Series?

The center point in a Taylor Series is significant because it determines the value of the coefficients $a_n$ and therefore, the accuracy of the approximation. Choosing a center point that is close to the values of the function will result in a more accurate approximation.

Are there any limitations to using a Taylor Series to approximate a function?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor Series. It is only accurate within a certain interval around the center point. Outside of this interval, the approximation may not be accurate. Additionally, some functions may not have a Taylor Series representation or may require an infinite number of terms to accurately approximate.

Back