Finding Acceleration and Tension

In summary, a block of mass 39.2 kg on a smooth horizontal surface is connected to a block of mass 21.1 kg by a string passing over a frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the hanging mass can be found using the equation a = T/m, where T is the tension in the string and m is the mass of the hanging block. To determine the tension in the string, the equations T = W1 + W2 and a = F/m can be used, where W1 and W2 are the weights of the two blocks and F is the net force on the system. The horizontal acceleration of the blocks is the same and can be found by solving these two equations simultaneously.
kum203

Homework Statement

[/B]
A block of mass m1 = 39.2 kg on a horizontal surface is connected to a mass m2 = 21.1 kg that hangs vertically. The two blocks are connected by a string of negligible mass passing over a frictionless pulley. Assume that the horizontal surface is smooth.

4-p-063.gif

(a) What is the acceleration of the hanging mass? (Enter the magnitude only.)

(b) Determine the tension in the cord. (Enter the magnitude only.)

Homework Equations

a={F / m
T= W1 + W2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to know the acceleration to find the tension and just don't know how to find it. I tried using 9.8 m/s2 but it said it was wrong. I also tried a=(W1 + W2) / 21.1 kg =18.2 m/s2. Not right. I'm getting really frustrated so any help is great

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kum, welcome to PF :smile:

F = ma is good.
I recognize T as tension in the wire, but what are W1 and W2 ?

I suppose you did make a drawing ?

BvU said:
Hi Kum, welcome to PF :smile:

F = ma is good.
I recognize T as tension in the wire, but what are W1 and W2 ?

I suppose you did make a drawing ?

W1 and W2 are the weights of the two boxes so W1= m1 * g and yeah it had an image with the problem but I also drew separate images of just the boxes and their forces.

12.P71.jpg

Do you think W1 influences T as it does in your equation ?

BvU said:
12.P71.jpg

Do you think W1 influences T as it does in your equation ?

i did...why doesn't it?

regardless, it certainly influences the acceleration on m2 or else acceleration in part (a) would simply be gravity, yeah?

but I also drew separate images of just the boxes and their forces.
Excellent.
On the drawing for m1 you should then see that the only force that influences the horizontal acceleration is T.

And for block 2 you don't have T = W2 (because that means equilibrium, and therefore no acceleration).

Bedtime for me, others may help you further if this big hint isn't already sufficient. good luck !

Im actually still really confused...how do I find acceleration for m2? its not m2g=206.78 N because its slowed by m1 and I don't understand how W2 can have no effect on T as T would be non-existant without m2 pulling on the string. I know you're not supposed to tell me what to do but I am getting really frustrated. I've already missed the points for this question but need to understand it because its driving me crazy. My class is large and my teacher's office hours are limited. How am I supposed to find T without acceleration of m2 and how do I find acceleration with only two mass values when it's not gravity? Don't you need time to find acceleration and acceleration to find tension?

Last edited:
kum203 said:
regardless, it certainly influences the acceleration on m2 or else acceleration in part (a) would simply be gravity, yeah?
Sorry for your frustration. I try to discover what your separate images with the masses and the forces working on them look like.

m1 is being pulled down by gravity with a force W1. That is compensated by the surface that pushes up with the same force in the opposite direction. So the block doesn't accelerate in the vertical direction. There is no friction, and the only other force on block 1 that I can think of is the tension from the wire. That tension accelerates the block in the horizontal direction. We can write down an equation for that. It doesn't involve the weight W1, but it certainly has to do with the mass of the block. That was what I was aiming at in post #4. The distinction between weight (a force) and mass (a mass :smile: ) is important in physics. In everyday life we mix them up all the time.

The wire is taut, so the length is fixed. So the acceleration of block m2 is the same as that of block 1. But the force balance looks different. That is the second equation. Two equations with two unknowns (a and T). Bob's your uncle, piece of cake, etcetera (meaning: this can be solved) :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Finding Acceleration and Tension

1. How do you find acceleration in a given situation?

In order to find acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity and the final velocity of the object, as well as the time it takes to change from the initial velocity to the final velocity. You can then use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate acceleration.

2. What is tension and how is it related to acceleration?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting on opposite ends. It is related to acceleration because when an object is being pulled by a string, the tension in the string can cause the object to accelerate.

3. How can you measure tension in a system?

To measure tension in a system, you can use a spring scale or a force sensor. Attach the scale or sensor to the string or rope and pull on it to determine the amount of force being applied. This force is equal to the tension in the string.

4. What are some common examples of situations where you would need to find acceleration and tension?

Some common examples include objects being pulled by a string or rope, a car accelerating or decelerating, and a rollercoaster moving along a track. In all of these situations, the acceleration and tension play a role in the motion of the object.

5. Can you have a negative acceleration and tension?

Yes, both acceleration and tension can be negative. Negative acceleration means that the object is slowing down, while negative tension means that the string or rope is being stretched in the opposite direction. However, it is important to note that negative acceleration and tension may not always be physically possible depending on the situation.