Finding acceleration from position formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the acceleration of a particle moving along a cardioid curve. The correct approach is to differentiate twice with respect to time, but one person mistakenly differentiated with respect to θ. The concept of implicit differentiation is also mentioned.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A particle moves with constant velocity v along the curve r = k(1+cosθ) (a cardioid), where
k is a constant. Find the acceleration of the particle (a), a· rˆ, |a|, and θ˙.
Relevant Equations
a = dV/dt
I am trying to follow the solution to the following problem, both linked in the attachment.

When trying to find the acceleration, a, that should be taking the derivative of r, the position formula twice. When doing so I get v = -ksinθ and a = -kcosθ. The attached work shows v being -(ksinθ)θ' which also leads to them getting a different answer for acceleration. Am i approaching this problem the wrong way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 2.30.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 2.30.33 PM.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 92
  • r+costheta.jpeg
    r+costheta.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: A particle moves with constant velocity v along the curve r = k(1+cosθ) (a cardioid), where
k is a constant. Find the acceleration of the particle (a), a· rˆ, |a|, and θ˙.
Relevant Equations:: a = dV/dt

I am trying to follow the solution to the following problem, both linked in the attachment.

When trying to find the acceleration, a, that should be taking the derivative of r, the position formula twice. When doing so I get v = -ksinθ and a = -kcosθ. The attached work shows v being -(ksinθ)θ' which also leads to them getting a different answer for acceleration. Am i approaching this problem the wrong way?
To find the velocity and acceleration you need to differentiate twice with respect to time. You appear to have differentiated wrt ##\theta##. Using the chain rule, you must then multiply by the derivative of that wrt time.

Likes Charles Link
Maybe a bit pedantic but….

The velocity (a vector) can’t be constant because its direction is constantly changing.

The question and the model answer should refer to the speed (not the velocity) as being constant.

Likes robphy, sysprog, SammyS and 1 other person
haruspex said:
To find the velocity and acceleration you need to differentiate twice with respect to time. You appear to have differentiated wrt ##\theta##. Using the chain rule, you must then multiply by the derivative of that wrt time.
Since I am differentiating with respect to time, this becomes implicit differentiation?

quittingthecult said:
implicit differentiation
Yes, which is just an example of the chain rule.

FAQ: Finding acceleration from position formula

1. How do I find acceleration from a position formula?

Acceleration can be found by taking the second derivative of the position formula. This means finding the derivative of the velocity formula, which is the first derivative of the position formula.

2. What is the formula for acceleration from position?

The formula for acceleration from position is a = d2x/dt2, where a is acceleration, x is position, and t is time.

3. Can I find acceleration without knowing the velocity?

Yes, you can find acceleration without knowing the velocity. As long as you have the position formula, you can take the second derivative to find the acceleration.

4. How do I interpret the units of acceleration from a position formula?

The units of acceleration from a position formula are typically meters per second squared (m/s2). This means that for every second, the velocity changes by the value of the acceleration in meters per second.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and position?

The relationship between acceleration and position is that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of position. In other words, acceleration is the second derivative of position, and velocity is the first derivative of position.

Back