Finding acceleration of an object given force and mass?

In this case, the mass of the snooker ball is 100g, so when converted to kilograms, it is equal to 0.1kg. Using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration, we can solve for the acceleration by plugging in the values given: 20N = 0.1kg * a. Solving for a, we get a = 200ms^-2. This means that the acceleration of the snooker ball is 200 meters per second squared, not 20 as you calculated. This is likely where the confusion lies and why the given answer is different.
Amelina Yoo

Homework Statement

Snooker ball with mass 100g is struck by a billiard cue. Cue imparts a force of 20N to the ball and the duration of the impact is 0.01s.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma
20=1(a) *I converted 100g to 1kg*
a= 20ms(^-2)

The answers claim that the acceleration is 200ms^-2. Except, I do not know how they have come to this, and which conversions I got wrong. I also left 100g in grams, but still did not result in the given answer.

Thank you if you can help me :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
To convert from grams to kilograms, you need to divide the mass in grams by 1000.

Related to Finding acceleration of an object given force and mass?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed and direction are changing.

2. How is acceleration related to force and mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. How do you calculate acceleration given force and mass?

To calculate acceleration, divide the force applied to the object by its mass. This will give you the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down. This can happen when a force is applied in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s2). This is a unit of acceleration in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units for acceleration include feet per second squared (ft/s2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h2).