Finding acceleration of elevator using mass

In summary, during an elevator ride with a scale, the scale reads 150 lbs at the start and varies between 120 lbs and 170 lbs during the ride. To calculate the acceleration of the elevator, we can use the dynamics equations and solve for "a" by substituting the weight (mg) with the initial reading of 150 lbs and the mass (m) with the normal force (Fn) divided by the acceleration due to gravity (g). However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.
mjolnir80

Homework Statement

one day you take your bathroom scale with you into an elevator. the scale reads 150 lbs as the door closes. the reading varies between 120 lbs and 170 lbs as the elevator travels up. what is the acceleration of the elevator while its accelerating and decelerating?

Homework Equations

dynamics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from the first part we know that the scale is telling us the normal force.Fg=Fn Fn=150lbs
for the accelerating phase F= Fn-Fg, ma=170lbs - mg
this is where i get stuck. where should i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
mjolnir80 said:
from the first part we know that the scale is telling us the normal force.Fg=Fn Fn=150lbs
The scale always gives the normal force. The initial reading tells you your weight (mg).
for the accelerating phase F= Fn-Fg, ma=170lbs - mg
this is where i get stuck. where should i go from here?
You're doing fine. Substitute the value of mg (the weight) and solve for "a". (Figure out your mass.)

Fn = mg (for the first part) m= Fn/ g is that the mass? the units don't really match though

and what do i substitute in for mg ? 150 lbs?

mjolnir80 said:
Fn = mg (for the first part) m= Fn/ g is that the mass?
Correct.
the units don't really match though
It's up to you to use consistent units. What's the value of g in the English system? What's the unit of mass?
and what do i substitute in for mg ? 150 lbs?
Yes.

thanks for the help

FAQ: Finding acceleration of elevator using mass

1. How do you find the acceleration of an elevator using mass?

To find the acceleration of an elevator, you need to know the mass of the elevator and the force acting on it. You can then use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass. This will give you the acceleration in m/s².

2. What is the mass of an elevator?

The mass of an elevator can vary depending on its size and the materials used to construct it. To find the mass, you can weigh the elevator using a scale or refer to the manufacturer's specifications.

3. How does the force on an elevator affect its acceleration?

The force acting on an elevator directly affects its acceleration. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. Can the acceleration of an elevator change?

Yes, the acceleration of an elevator can change depending on the forces acting on it. If the force remains constant and the mass increases, the acceleration will decrease. Similarly, if the mass remains constant and the force increases, the acceleration will increase.

5. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²). This represents the change in velocity over time, where acceleration is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds.