Finding Acceleration Using a Table: Small Graphing Question | Homework Help

• Thread starter BayernBlues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the question is how to find the acceleration using a table of values for time squared and displacement, and how to add error bars to the graph and whether or not to include a (0,0) point on the graph. The relevant equations are s = 1/2at^2 and y = mx + b. The provided table has values for displacement (s) and time squared (t^2).
BayernBlues

Homework Statement

I have a question for a graph where I'm basically trying to find the acceleration using a table which has a time squared value starting at 7.132 seconds squared and ending at 9.686 seconds squared. I need to find a regression (I need to find the slope for the line of best fit. This is the graph:

The first problem is the error bars. I got y error bars but when I click on format options for the excel graph, it doesn't show x bars options so how do I add error bars? And my other question is, how/should I add (0,0) to the graph because obviously the displacement is 0 m at 0 seconds but this wasn't conducted in the experiment so wouldn't it skew the slope of the line of best fit?

Homework Equations

Here's the relation:
y= mx + b --------> s(displacement) = 1/2 a(acceleration)*t^2(seconds squared)

and here's the table:

-(s)--------(t^2)
113.76-----7.132
123.56-----7.896
133.3------8.588
143.66-----9.321
152.9------9.686

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2456/nettles1qb0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I set 7.132 to be the x intercept?

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the concept of acceleration and how it relates to the displacement and time squared values in the table. In this case, the acceleration can be calculated by using the formula a = 2s/t^2, where s is the displacement and t^2 is the time squared.

Regarding the error bars, it is important to understand the source of the error and how it affects the data. If the error is due to measurement uncertainty, it is appropriate to include error bars in the graph to show the range of possible values. However, if the error is due to a systematic error or bias, it should be addressed and corrected before proceeding with the analysis.

In terms of adding (0,0) to the graph, it is not necessary to do so unless it is relevant to the data being presented. If the experiment was not conducted at 0 seconds, it would not be appropriate to include this point as it would not accurately reflect the data.

To find the slope of the line of best fit, I would recommend using a regression analysis tool in Excel. This will help to determine the best fit line and its slope, which can then be used to calculate the acceleration.

In summary, it is important to understand the concept and equations related to acceleration in order to accurately analyze the data and determine the acceleration. Additionally, it is important to address any sources of error and only include relevant data points in the graph.

Related to Finding Acceleration Using a Table: Small Graphing Question | Homework Help

1. What is a small graphing question?

A small graphing question is a question that can be answered by creating a simple graph or chart. It usually involves analyzing a small set of data and presenting the results visually.

2. Why are small graphing questions important?

Small graphing questions are important because they allow us to easily visualize and understand data. They can help us identify patterns and trends, and make data more accessible and meaningful.

3. How do you create a small graph?

To create a small graph, you will need to first gather your data and determine which type of graph is most appropriate (e.g. bar graph, line graph, pie chart). Then, you can use a graphing software or manually plot the data on graph paper. Make sure to label your axes and provide a title for the graph.

4. What are the limitations of small graphing?

Small graphing has limitations as it can only provide a basic overview of data and may not accurately represent the entire dataset. It also does not allow for in-depth analysis or comparison between multiple variables.

5. How can small graphing be used in scientific research?

In scientific research, small graphing can be used to quickly and visually present preliminary data, or to summarize key findings from a larger dataset. It can also be used as a tool for data exploration and hypothesis generation.