Finding an approximate formula for f'(a)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the expression for f'(a) using Taylor Series Expansion. The first method used involves summing and factoring out terms from the Taylor Series Expansions of f(a+h) and f(a+3h), while the second method involves writing the Taylor expansions for f(a+h) and f(a+3h) up to second order and eliminating f''(a) to solve for f'(a). The question about the error term and which terms would contribute to it is also brought up.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

fPv6h.png

The Attempt at a Solution

q6sC7.jpg

Alright so what I did was expanded f(a+h) and f(a+3h) using Taylor Series Expansion. I then said that f'(a) would be some linear combination of f(a), f(a+h) and f(a+3h).

I summed up and factored out the terms f(a), f'(a) and f''(a) from the Taylor Series Expansions.

Finally for equations 1, I know that I don't want f(a) so c0+c1+c2 = 0. For equation 2, I want to keep f'(a) so that equation is set to equal to 1. For equation 3, I don't want f''(a) so that equation is set to 0.

I solved for the coefficients in terms of h and ended up with f'(a) ≈ [f(a+3h) - 33f(a) + 27f(a+h)] / 20hI would like to know if my method and/or answer is correct. My answer in my opinion looks really weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a good idea, you're just calculating it wrong. The expression for f'(a) is not right. Do it again more carefully.

Another, slightly easier approach would be to write the Taylor expansions for f(a+h) and f(a+3h) up to second order and then using these two, eliminate f''(a) and solve for f'(a).

clamtrox said:
You have a good idea, you're just calculating it wrong. The expression for f'(a) is not right. Do it again more carefully.

Another, slightly easier approach would be to write the Taylor expansions for f(a+h) and f(a+3h) up to second order and then using these two, eliminate f''(a) and solve for f'(a).

Thanks! I got the correct answer. Out of curiosity, which term would be the error term? the sum of the f''(a) terms or the sum of the f'''(a) terms?

Related to Finding an approximate formula for f'(a)

1. What is an approximate formula for f'(a)?

An approximate formula for f'(a) is a simplified expression that can be used to estimate the value of the derivative of a function at a specific point a. It is not an exact value, but rather an approximation that is close to the actual value.

2. Why do we need to find an approximate formula for f'(a)?

Finding an approximate formula for f'(a) is useful when the derivative cannot be easily calculated using traditional methods. It allows for a quick estimation of the derivative value without having to use complex mathematical techniques.

3. How is an approximate formula for f'(a) calculated?

An approximate formula for f'(a) can be calculated using various methods such as the finite difference method, linearization, or using Taylor series. These methods involve simplifying the function and evaluating it at a specific point a to find an approximate value for the derivative at that point.

4. What are the limitations of using an approximate formula for f'(a)?

Using an approximate formula for f'(a) may result in a less accurate value compared to calculating the derivative using traditional methods. It may also not work for all types of functions and may only provide an estimate within a certain range of values.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of an approximate formula for f'(a)?

To improve the accuracy of an approximate formula for f'(a), we can use a smaller interval around the point a or use a higher order approximation method. Additionally, using a computer to calculate the approximation can also improve accuracy by reducing human error.