Finding an equation with given traits

In summary, the mentor found a function and provided a start for finding the function, but the student is stuck on the second part of the problem. The student needs help understanding what to do when they get to the part where they need to calculate the first 30 terms for two cycles, x = -2 to 2.
csmitty12
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Consider a function
f(x) = 0, 0 ≤ x < 1
and
f(x) = 1, 1 ≤ x < 2

What is the function and how did you find it? Please help it will be used for a Fourier Series project. I can get the Series stuff fine but I just don't remember how to find a function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
csmitty12 said:
Consider a function
f(x) = 0, 0 ≤ x < 1
and
f(x) = 1, 1 ≤ x < 2

What is the function and how did you find it? Please help it will be used for a Fourier Series project. I can get the Series stuff fine but I just don't remember how to find a function.

csmitty12 said:
The thing is, is that it is supposed to be a periodic function with Period 2. I can't draw it that's all the info I've got.

Welcome to the PF.

What you have specified is not periodic. As robphy indicates, you can use the addition of two step functions to generate the function that you have specified in your first post. There must be more to the problem statement than you have shown us so far.

BTW, is this for a schoolwork assignment or for something else?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What you have specified is not periodic. As robphy indicates, you can use the addition of two step functions to generate the function that you have specified in your first post. There must be more to the problem statement than you have shown us so far.

BTW, is this for a schoolwork assignment or for something else?
It is for a Fourier Series project. I can get the FS through MATLAB, my only question is how to get the function to use in the FS?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 409
csmitty12 said:
It is for a Fourier Series project. I can get the FS through MATLAB, my only question is how to get the function to use in the FS?

Oh, that's different (now seeing the actual problem statement). They say to construct a periodic square wave out of that basic function. Do you know how to calculate the Fourier Series of a square wave with a DC offset?

berkeman said:
Oh, that's different (now seeing the actual problem statement). They say to construct a periodic square wave out of that basic function. Do you know how to calculate the Fourier Series of a square wave with a DC offset?
So far we have only learned sinusoidal functions and complex representation. I'm not too sure how do do it with a square wave. Any idea where I can get started?

Just Google the last part of my last post:

berkeman said:
Fourier Series of a square wave with a DC offset

berkeman said:
Just Google the last part of my last post:
Okay so now I understand how to get the equation for the series. Now I'm confused and stuck on the part where it says to calculate the first 30 terms for two cycles, x = -2 to 2. Any hints/suggestions?

csmitty12 said:
Okay so now I understand how to get the equation for the series. Now I'm confused and stuck on the part where it says to calculate the first 30 terms for two cycles, x = -2 to 2. Any hints/suggestions?

What happens when you google Gibb's Phenomenon?

Related to Finding an equation with given traits

1. What is the purpose of finding an equation with given traits?

The purpose of finding an equation with given traits is to model and predict real-world phenomena. By identifying the relevant traits or variables and creating an equation that relates them, we can better understand and make predictions about a particular system or process.

2. What are some common traits that are used in equations?

Some common traits that are used in equations include variables such as time, distance, speed, temperature, pressure, and mass. These traits are often used to describe and quantify the behavior of physical systems.

3. How do I go about finding an equation with given traits?

To find an equation with given traits, you will first need to identify the relevant traits or variables that are involved in the system or process you are studying. Then, you can use mathematical principles such as algebra, calculus, or statistics to create an equation that relates these variables in a meaningful way.

4. What are some challenges in finding an equation with given traits?

One challenge in finding an equation with given traits is accurately identifying and measuring all of the relevant variables in a complex system. Additionally, creating an equation that accurately represents the behavior of a system can be difficult and may require simplifying assumptions or approximations.

5. How can I test the accuracy of an equation with given traits?

The best way to test the accuracy of an equation with given traits is to compare its predictions to real-world data. If the equation accurately predicts the behavior of the system, then it can be considered a valid representation. However, if there are significant differences between the predictions and the actual data, the equation may need to be modified or improved.