Finding an upper bound for the cosmological constant

In summary, the conversation discusses using weak-field considerations to determine an upper bound for the cosmological constant in the EFE equation. The solution involves approximating the metric tensor and neglecting temporal derivatives, resulting in an equation for the Newtonian potential. The upper bound is determined to be 8.6 x 10^-35 m^-2, with some discrepancies between different sources.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

(Working with geometrised units)

Consider the EFE

##G^{\alpha \beta }+\Lambda g^{\alpha \beta} = 8 \pi T^{\alpha \beta} ##

work out (using weak-field considerations) an upper bound for the cosmological constant knowing that the radius of Pluto's orbit is 5.9 x 10^12 m.

Homework Equations

##G^{\alpha \beta} = -\frac{1}{2}\Box \bar{h}^{\alpha \beta}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The only important component will be ##\bar{h}^{00}##. Also, we will have to approximate the metric tensor as just ##g^{\alpha \beta} = \eta^{\alpha \beta}##. Also, we neglect the temporal derivatives of ##\bar{h}## since we are assuming non relativistic speeds.

With this in mind our EFE is written as

##\nabla^2\bar{h}^{00}=-16\pi \rho - 2\Lambda ##

Writing ##\bar{h}^{00}=-4\phi ## where ##\phi## is our Newtonian potential we get

##\nabla^2 \phi = 4 \pi \rho + \Lambda / 2 ##

The trivial part of ##\phi## is ##-M/r## with ##M## the mass of the sun. We propose the other solution as ##Cr^2##

Writing out the Laplacian we should arrive at

##6C=\Lambda/2##

Where we get that ##C=\Lambda / 12 ## and we conclude that

##\phi=\frac{-M}{r} + \frac{\Lambda}{12}r^2##

Our upper-bound (so that effects of the cosmological constant will become negligible) will be written as

##\frac{\Lambda}{12}r^2 < M/r##

where we arrive at ##\Lambda = 8.6 \times 10^{-35}m^-2 ## as an upper bound.

Now my question is: Chapter 8 18(a) http://www.aei.mpg.de/~schutz/download/FirstCourseGR2.Solutions.1_0.pdf

cites exactly half of what I've got.

http://www.physik.uzh.ch/lectures/agr/GR_Exercises/ex11.pdf

says the solution to the EFE equation is ##\phi=-M/r+\frac{\Lambda}{6} r^2 ##

which is slightly different from what I've got, and gives the "correct" upper limit cited in the first link.

I've been checking for hours now my solution and can't find where that factor on my solution to the diff eq went to. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My guess is this problem might seem tedious to follow, but its really not, provided you know the relevant equations. Although it has the style of a typical homework question, maybe it would fit better into the relativity section ? I don't know. Thanks anyways.

Related to Finding an upper bound for the cosmological constant

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a mathematical term used in the general theory of relativity to represent the energy density of the vacuum of space. It was first introduced by Albert Einstein to explain the observed expansion of the universe.

2. Why is it important to find an upper bound for the cosmological constant?

Finding an upper bound for the cosmological constant is important because it can help us understand the nature of the universe and its expansion. It can also provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the existence of dark energy.

3. How do scientists calculate an upper bound for the cosmological constant?

Scientists use various methods to calculate an upper bound for the cosmological constant, including observational data from cosmic microwave background radiation, supernovae, and galaxy clusters. They also use theoretical models and simulations to estimate the value of the cosmological constant.

4. What are some challenges in finding an upper bound for the cosmological constant?

One of the main challenges in finding an upper bound for the cosmological constant is the lack of precise and accurate data. The value of the cosmological constant is also affected by the assumptions and methods used in the calculations, making it difficult to determine a precise upper bound.

5. How does the value of the cosmological constant affect our understanding of the universe?

The value of the cosmological constant can significantly impact our understanding of the universe. A higher value would suggest a universe that will continue to expand forever, while a lower value would indicate a universe that will eventually collapse. It also affects the rate of expansion of the universe and the amount of dark energy present, which can provide insights into the ultimate fate of the universe.