Finding angle and Forces in a system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system set up in a y shape with a weight of 12kg hanging from the bottom. One angle formed with respect to the x-axis is 25 and it is mentioned that there are two equal forces. The sum of forces in the x and y directions are calculated and equations are made to find Fa, Fb, and the other angle. One suggestion is to make the angles equal, which is eventually determined to be correct.
imagiro1
1. The system is set up in a y shape. A weight of 12kg is hanging from the bottom. One of the angles formed with respect to the x-axis is 25. We are also told the 2 forces are equal.

2. Sum of forces in the x directions = 0. Sum of forces in the y direction = 0. 12kg*9.81 = 117.72N.

3. Since the 2 forces are equal. I have made the following equations.
Sum Fx: F cos 25 - F cos Q = 0
Sum Fy: F sin 25 + F sin Q = -117.72

I am looking for Fa, Fb, and the other angle.

My friend has suggested to make the angles equal to each other since the forces are equal, but that doesn't seem like it would be correct.

I am just looking for a way to get this started.

Physics news on Phys.org
imagiro1 said:
1. The system is set up in a y shape. A weight of 12kg is hanging from the bottom. One of the angles formed with respect to the x-axis is 25. We are also told the 2 forces are equal.

2. Sum of forces in the x directions = 0. Sum of forces in the y direction = 0. 12kg*9.81 = 117.72N.

3. Since the 2 forces are equal. I have made the following equations.
Sum Fx: F cos 25 - F cos Q = 0
Sum Fy: F sin 25 + F sin Q = -117.72

I am looking for Fa, Fb, and the other angle.

My friend has suggested to make the angles equal to each other since the forces are equal, but that doesn't seem like it would be correct.

I am just looking for a way to get this started.

From your sum of Fx equation, since you know that F≠0, why don't you divide by F?

Cause that's too easy. ;) Yup, then the other angle is 25. Guess my friend was right. Thanks.

FAQ: Finding angle and Forces in a system

1. What is an angle in a system?

An angle in a system refers to the measure of rotation or inclination between two lines or surfaces. In physics, angles are important for determining the direction of forces and motion within a system.

2. How do you calculate the angle between two forces in a system?

The angle between two forces in a system can be calculated using the trigonometric function known as cosine. This involves dividing the adjacent side of a right triangle by the hypotenuse, which will give you the cosine of the angle. You can then use the inverse cosine function to find the angle itself.

3. What is the difference between internal and external forces in a system?

Internal forces are those that act within a system and are caused by the interactions between its components. External forces, on the other hand, are those that act on a system from outside and can cause changes in its motion or shape.

4. How do you find the resultant force in a system?

The resultant force in a system is the vector sum of all the forces acting on it. This can be found by breaking each force down into its horizontal and vertical components, using trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of each component, and then adding them together to find the resultant force.

5. Why is it important to find angle and forces in a system?

Finding the angle and forces in a system allows us to understand and predict the motion and stability of objects within the system. This is crucial in fields such as engineering, where precise calculations of forces and angles are necessary to design structures that can withstand different loads and forces.