Finding angle of inclination. Hanging object.

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the angles from horizontal of AB=30cm and BC=40cm by treating them as lever arms and finding the angle at which they cancel each other out. The formula used is F.d (or Fdsinθ) to find the moment of a general force about a general point. The conversation also touches on using the dot product (or scalar product) and the formula dsinθ to find the horizontal distance from the pivot point. The final solution involves finding the ratio of the weights of BA and BC, which is 1:2.053.
EVriderDK

Homework Statement

I have to find the angles from horizontal of AB=30cm and BC=40cm.
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/356001
I don't know how to tackle this one.

I was told that i could see them as lever arms, and find out at which angle they cancel each other out. I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi EVriderDK! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Draw the forces (the two weights), and take moments about B …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you :)

I could do that, if it was a straight line, but how to do it when it is bend in 90 degrees?

Have you done moments of forces?

I have solved these ones fx:
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/355632
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/353915

Hope you don't mind the danish :)

But do you know how to calculate the moment of a general force about a general point? :confused:

Yes. It is just Force/length ?

EVriderDK said:
Yes. It is just Force/length ?

Noooo :redface:

You need to look it up in your book.

(and I'm off to bed :zzz:)

Woops meant F*r :D

EVriderDK said:
Woops meant F*r :D

what is r ?

Radius or length

of what?

from what to what?

From the "rotation point" B to the end of an arm/lever.

EVriderDK said:
From the "rotation point" B to the end of an arm/lever.

ah, no :redface:

it's the perpendicular distance from B to the line of the force

(in this case, the force is the weight, so the line of the force is the vertical line through the centre of the rod)

another formula is F.d (or Fdsinθ)

where d is the vector from B to the centre of mass, and θ is the angle between F and d

see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/torq2.html :wink:

Hmm.

B is a point. How can something be perpendicular to a point?

Centre of the mass? So i have to make a triangle out of it, and find the center of gravity?

EVriderDK said:
B is a point. How can something be perpendicular to a point?
tiny-tim said:
it's the perpendicular distance from B to the line of the force
Centre of the mass? So i have to make a triangle out of it, and find the center of gravity?

i don't understand

either follow the diagram, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/torq2.html, or follow my instructions

I'm looking at the site, but it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm just not that good at english :) It's confusing.

I don't know what you mean by F.d. What does "." represent ?

If the Force is the force of gravity, and the force of gravity is a vertical force through the point B, how can i make a line perpendicular to the force(Fg) and B?

Last edited:
EVriderDK said:
I don't know what you mean by F.d. What does "." represent ?

That's the dot product (or scalar product), see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vsca.html

If you don't like the idea of dot product, just use the Fdsinθ formula :smile:
If the Force is the force of gravity, and the force of gravity is a vertical force through the point B, how can i make a line perpendicular to the force(Fg) and B?

No, you make it through B (or from B), and perpendicular to that vertical line.

In other words: if d is the distance from B to the centre of the rod,

then dsinθ is the horizontal distance from B to the vertical line through the centre of the rod.​

So d is a line from the middle of AB, perpendicular to AB, which goes to F_g, which is the vertical force through B ?

Dot product and vector calculations is long gone. Cannot remember how it works, so another method is preferrable :)

EVriderDK said:
So d is a line from the middle of AB, perpendicular to AB, which goes to F_g, which is the vertical force through B ?

No!

Read the instructions

it's perpendicular to the force

and it's through B (the pivot point)​

I found another solution, where the Fg goes vertically down in the middle of AB(a). From that point you draw a vertical line to the top, and a horizontal line to the pivot point B. The same with BC(c). To calculate the ange, i first have to find out, where the two moments are =0. So that will be F_g_a*Cb*sin(alpha)-F_g_b*Ca*cos(alpha)=0.

Right?

EVriderDK said:
I found another solution …

That is the solution I've been telling you about!
… where the Fg goes vertically down in the middle of AB(a). From that point you draw a vertical line to the top, and a horizontal line to the pivot point B. The same with BC(c). To calculate the ange, i first have to find out, where the two moments are =0. So that will be F_g_a*Cb*sin(alpha)-F_g_b*Ca*cos(alpha)=0.

Right?

You mean F_g_a*Ba*sin(alpha)-F_g_c*Bc*cos(alpha)=0 ?

Right! :smile:

(if alpha is what I think it is)

Now what is the ratio of F_g_a and F_g_c? :wink:

60.64deg/29.538=2.053

1:2.053 ?

tiny-tim said:
Now what is the ratio of F_g_a and F_g_c? :wink:
EVriderDK said:
60.64deg/29.538=2.053

1:2.053 ?

uhh? :confused:

F_g_a/F_g_c = weight of BA / weight of BC = length BA / length BC

3/4 ?

Yup! :biggrin:

(why the question-mark? :wink:)

Now put it all together! :smile:

I was not sure what you wanted :)

atan(20^2/15^2)
atan(30^2/40^2)

That is much easier. I just had no clue, why this is possible. I lack the understading of it :/

Related to Finding angle of inclination. Hanging object.

1. What is the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination is the angle between a horizontal line and a line connecting an object to a fixed point, such as the ground or a support.

2. How do you find the angle of inclination for a hanging object?

To find the angle of inclination for a hanging object, you can use a protractor to measure the angle between the hanging object and a horizontal line or use trigonometric functions to calculate the angle using the length of the hanging object and the height of the support.

3. What is the importance of finding the angle of inclination for a hanging object?

Finding the angle of inclination for a hanging object is important in engineering and construction as it helps determine the stability and weight distribution of the object. It can also be useful in physics and astronomy to understand the forces acting on the object.

4. Can the angle of inclination change over time for a hanging object?

Yes, the angle of inclination for a hanging object can change over time if the object is subject to external forces such as wind or if the support or hanging mechanism is not secure.

5. Are there any other methods to find the angle of inclination for a hanging object?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a clinometer, which is a specialized tool for measuring angles, or using computer software to analyze images or data from sensors attached to the hanging object.