Finding Angles Between Horizontal Planes and Multivariable Functions

In summary, the conversation involves finding the angle above the horizontal that a person's path makes while walking in the northeast direction on a mountain described by a given function. The solution involves finding the directional derivative and taking the inverse tangent to get the angle. The final result is obtained by using the dot product of the gradient vector and a unit vector in the desired direction. The solution is not arctan(0) but rather the inverse tangent of the dot product of <6,-6> and <1/sqrt(2),1/sqrt(2)>, which is the desired angle.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Suppose a mountain is described by the function z = 10x^2 * y − 5x^2 − 4y^2 − x^4 − 2y^4 and that you are standing at the point (1,1,−2). The positive x-axis points east and the positive y- axis points north. If you walk in the northeast direction what angle above the horizontal does your path make?

Homework Equations

cos(θ) = (v • w)/(|v||w|) (But I'm not sure this is even relevant.)
z - z0 = fx(x0,y0)(x-x0) + fy(x0,y0)(y-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not convinced that this will work, but I intend to find a tangent plane at (1,1,-2). Then, using the normal vectors I have between the tangent and the xy-plane, I will calculate the angle.

fx = 20xy - 10x - 4x^3
fy = 10x^2 - 8y - 8y^3

Evaluated at (1,1) gives,

fx = 6
fy = -6

so,

z + 2 = 6(x-1) - 6(y-1), which I rearrange to give,

0 = 6(x-1) - 6(y-1) - 1(z + 2)

So, I think I have normal vector <6,-6,-1>, and a normal vector on the xy-plane, <0,0,1>.

So,

cos(θ) = (-1)/sqrt(73). So θ = arccos((-1)/sqrt(73)), which is obtuse, so, replacing <0,0,1> with its negative gives θ = arccos((1)/sqrt(73))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is the directional derivative: if [itex]D_\theta f(x, y)[/itex] is the derivative of f(x,y) in the direction that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the positive x-axis (so that [itex]\partial f/\partial x= D_0 f[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y= D_{\theta/2} f[/itex], then
[tex]D_\theta f= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} cos(\theta)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} sin(\theta)[/tex]

Similarly, if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a unit vector the derivative in the direction of that vector is
[tex]\nabla f \cdot \vec{v}[/tex].
"Northeast", given that the positive x-axis is east and the positive y-axis north, is at angle [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] which is the same as the direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{v}= (\vec{i}+ \vec{j})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]

Once you know the "rate of change", "rise over run", in that direction, just take the inverse tangent to get the angle.

No, [itex]\theta[/itex] is NOT "[itex]arccos(1)/\sqrt{73}[/itex]".

"fx = 6 fy = -6" should give you the answer immediately.

So, by the definition of the directional derivative: ∇f ⋅ v⃗. Then my directional derivative should be <6,-6> • <1/sqrt(2),1/sqrt(2)>. This gives a dot product of 0.

Arctan(0) = 0, which does not seem correct to me.

Related to Finding Angles Between Horizontal Planes and Multivariable Functions

1. What is the purpose of finding angles between horizontal planes and multivariable functions?

Finding the angle between horizontal planes and multivariable functions is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and structural design. It allows us to understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other.

2. How do you calculate the angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function?

The angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹ (𝒖∙𝒗 / ||𝒖|| ||𝒗||), where 𝒖 and 𝒗 are the unit vectors representing the direction of the plane and the function, respectively.

3. Can the angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function be negative?

Yes, the angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the function is opposite to the direction of the plane, resulting in a negative value for the cosine function in the formula.

4. What is the significance of a 90-degree angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function?

A 90-degree angle between a horizontal plane and a multivariable function indicates that the function is perpendicular to the plane. This means that the function has no effect on the plane, and the plane has no effect on the function. This concept is important in determining the stability and equilibrium of structures.

5. Are there any practical applications of finding angles between horizontal planes and multivariable functions?

Yes, there are many practical applications of finding angles between horizontal planes and multivariable functions. For example, in engineering, it can be used to calculate the optimal angle for supporting structures, such as bridges or buildings. In physics, it can help determine the direction of forces acting on an object. In mathematics, it can be used to analyze the relationship between multiple variables in a function.