Finding angular speed given T and I

In summary, to find the angular speed of a grindstone after making 14.6 revolutions under a constant torque of 25.5 N · m and neglecting friction, we can use the work-energy theorem and the equation Iω^2/2 = Tθ to find the final angular velocity. This can be solved algebraically using the given information and the fact that the grindstone starts from rest.
lespiderboris

Homework Statement

A constant torque of 25.5 N · m is applied to a grindstone whose moment of inertia is
0.117 kg · m2.
Using energy principles, and neglecting friction, find the angular speed after the grind-
stone has made 14.6 rev.
Answer in units of rad/s

Homework Equations

1 rad = 1/2π rev (π = pi)

T=Iα (α = alpha = angular acceleration)(T=torque)

α=Δω/t

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've got it that 14.6 rev = 91.7345...rad.
... I think those are the only relevant equations since we don't know the radius or the mass OR the initial velocity of the grindstone. (Do we assume it was at rest? Does it even matter?) I must be wrong though as I am stumped on how to solve this. Thank you to anyone able and kind enough to help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The text indicate that you are expected to use "energy principles".
Do you know the work-energy theorem?
And yes, you can assume it starts from rest.

I know I1ω1=I2ω2

And that the total angular momentum of a system is conserved, i.e. remains constant.

Is that where you're leading me? :)

These are angular momenta and not energies.
And you have torque so the angular momentum is not conserved.
No, the work-energy theorem states that the change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the external force. In this case, taking the initial KE =0, you will have final KE=work.
You will have to express this in angular quantities and solve to find the angular velocity.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the given information and determining what is needed to solve for the angular speed. The given information includes a constant torque of 25.5 N · m and the moment of inertia of the grindstone, which is 0.117 kg · m2. We are also told to neglect friction and are given the number of revolutions made by the grindstone, which is 14.6.

To solve for the angular speed, we can use the equation T=Iα, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. Since we are neglecting friction, we can assume that the torque is the only force acting on the grindstone, and therefore, it is equal to the net torque. We can also assume that the grindstone is initially at rest, so its initial angular velocity is 0.

Using the equation α=Δω/t, where Δω is the change in angular velocity and t is the time, we can rewrite the equation T=Iα as T=I(Δω/t). We know that the grindstone has made 14.6 revolutions, which is equivalent to 91.7345... radians, so we can plug this value in for Δω. We also know that the time is the same for every revolution, so we can use the time for one revolution, which is equal to the period (T) of the grindstone.

Therefore, the equation becomes 25.5 = 0.117(91.7345...)/T. Solving for T, we get T = 0.0485 seconds. Now, we can use the equation ω=Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time. Since we know that the grindstone has made 14.6 revolutions, we can plug in 91.7345... radians for Δθ and 0.0485 seconds for Δt. Solving for ω, we get an angular speed of approximately 189.4 rad/s.

In conclusion, using energy principles and neglecting friction, we were able to find the angular speed of the grindstone after it has made 14.6 revolutions. This problem demonstrates the application of equations in rotational motion and the importance of understanding the given information in order to solve

Related to Finding angular speed given T and I

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How do you calculate angular speed?

To calculate angular speed, you need to divide the angle traveled by the time it took to travel that angle. This can be represented by the formula: ω = θ / t, where ω is the angular speed, θ is the angle traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that angle.

3. What is the relationship between angular speed, period, and moment of inertia?

The angular speed of an object is inversely proportional to its period, meaning that as angular speed increases, the period decreases. The moment of inertia, which is the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also affects angular speed. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower angular speed for a given period.

4. Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. This happens when an object is rotating in the opposite direction to its initial direction. In this case, the angular speed is represented by a negative value to indicate its direction of rotation.

5. How does changing the moment of inertia affect the angular speed?

As mentioned earlier, the moment of inertia affects the angular speed of an object. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower angular speed, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in a faster angular speed.