Finding angular speed & KE using moment of inertia?

In summary, the skaters have opposite velocities of 1.61 m/s and approach each other along parallel paths separated by 2.90 m. One skater carries one end of a long pole of negligible mass, and the other skater grabs the other end as she passes. They then rotate about the center of the pole with a radius of 1.45 m, an angular speed of 1.11 rad/s, and a kinetic energy of 125 J. When they pull along the pole until they are separated by 1.82 m, their angular speed increases to 1.77 rad/s and their kinetic energy remains at 125 J, as angular momentum is conserved in this system.
rockchalk1312
In the figure, two skaters, each of mass 48.1 kg, approach each other along parallel paths separated by 2.90 m. They have opposite velocities of 1.61 m/s each. One skater carries one end of a long pole of negligible mass, and the other skater grabs the other end as she passes. The skaters then rotate about the center of the pole. Assume that the friction between skates and ice is negligible. What are (a) the radius of the circle, (b) the angular speed of the skaters, and (c) the kinetic energy of the two-skater system? Next, the skaters each pull along the pole until they are separated by 1.82 m. What then are (d) their angular speed and (e) the kinetic energy of the system?

ω=v/r
I=Ʃmr2
K=1/2Iω2

a) I found the radius obviously by doing 2.90/2=1.45m
b) ω =1.61m/s / 1.45m = 1.11rad/s
c) I = 2(48.1kg)(1.45m)2=202.3 kgm2
K = (1/2)(202.3)(1.11)2=125 J

a, b and c were all the correct answers but then when I tried to solve d and e the exact same way the answers are incorrect. Isn't the only thing you have to change the fact that the radius is now 1.82/2=.91m?

d) ω=1.61m/s / .91m = 1.77 rad/s
e) I = 2(48.1kg)(.91m)2=79.66kgm2
K = (1/2)(79.66)(1.77)2=125 J

d and e were incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 11.04.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 11.04.02 PM.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
rockchalk1312 said:
In the figure, two skaters, each of mass 48.1 kg, approach each other along parallel paths separated by 2.90 m. They have opposite velocities of 1.61 m/s each. One skater carries one end of a long pole of negligible mass, and the other skater grabs the other end as she passes. The skaters then rotate about the center of the pole. Assume that the friction between skates and ice is negligible. What are (a) the radius of the circle, (b) the angular speed of the skaters, and (c) the kinetic energy of the two-skater system? Next, the skaters each pull along the pole until they are separated by 1.82 m. What then are (d) their angular speed and (e) the kinetic energy of the system?

ω=v/r
I=Ʃmr2
K=1/2Iω2

a) I found the radius obviously by doing 2.90/2=1.45m
b) ω =1.61m/s / 1.45m = 1.11rad/s
c) I = 2(48.1kg)(1.45m)2=202.3 kgm2
K = (1/2)(202.3)(1.11)2=125 J

a, b and c were all the correct answers but then when I tried to solve d and e the exact same way the answers are incorrect. Isn't the only thing you have to change the fact that the radius is now 1.82/2=.91m?
It's not the same problem. How can it be solved the same way?

Why would the skaters speed remain the same as before?
d) ω=1.61m/s / .91m = 1.77 rad/s
e) I = 2(48.1kg)(.91m)2=79.66kgm2
K = (1/2)(79.66)(1.77)2=125 J

d and e were incorrect. What am I doing wrong?
Ask yourself, 'what is conserved as the skaters get closer together?'

SammyS said:
'what is conserved as the skaters get closer together?'

Angular momentum. Thanks, got it!

Related to Finding angular speed & KE using moment of inertia?

1. What is the formula for finding angular speed?

The formula for finding angular speed is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between angular speed and linear speed?

The relationship between angular speed and linear speed is v = ωr, where v represents the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational kinetic energy?

The moment of inertia directly affects an object's rotational kinetic energy, as seen in the formula KE = 1/2Iω², where KE is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular speed. The higher the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to rotate the object at a given angular speed.

5. Can I use the same moment of inertia for all types of objects?

No, the moment of inertia is specific to each object and its shape. Different objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia, depending on how their mass is distributed in relation to their axis of rotation. Therefore, the moment of inertia cannot be generalized and must be calculated for each individual object.