Finding angular velocity after a collision

In summary, a spherical satellite with a radius of 5.1 m and mass of 280 kg, initially moving with a velocity of 2600, 0, 0 m/s and rotating with an angular speed of 2 rad/s, collides with a piece of space junk with a mass of 7.6 kg and initial velocity of -2200, 0, 0 m/s. After the collision, the space junk moves off with a new velocity of -1300, 480, 0 m/s. Using the equations ## P_{xf} = P_{xi} ## and ## P_{yf} = P_{yi} ##, we can find the components of the center-of-mass
jhyrman

Homework Statement

[/B]
A spherical satellite of approximately uniform density with radius 5.1 m and mass 280 kg is originally moving with velocity
leftangle0.gif
2600, 0, 0
rightangle0.gif
m/s, and is originally rotating with an angular speed 2 rad/s, in the direction shown in the diagram. A small piece of space junk of mass 7.6 kg is initially moving toward the satellite with velocity
leftangle0.gif
−2200, 0, 0
rightangle0.gif
m/s. The space junk hits the edge of the satellite as shown in the figure below, and moves off with a new velocity
leftangle0.gif
−1300, 480, 0
rightangle0.gif
m/s. Both before and after the collision, the rotation of the space junk is negligible.
11-7-049.png

(a) Just after the collision, what are the components of the center-of-mass velocity of the satellite (vx and vy) and its rotational speed ω? (For vx, enter your answer to at least four significant figures.)
(b) Calculate the rise in the internal energy of the satellite and space junk combined.

Homework Equations

From Wiley Matter and Interactions, 4e, vol 1, p. 434-35:
## P_{xf} = P_{xi} ##
## v_{s,xf} = v_{s,xi} + \frac{m}{M}(v_{j,xi} - v_{j,xf}) cos \theta ##

## P_{yf} = P_{yi} ##
## v_{s,yf} = v_{s,yi} + \frac{m}{M}(v_{j,yi} - v_{j,yf}) sin \theta ##

No net torques:
## L_f = L_i ##
## I \omega_i + hmv_1 sin(90 - \theta) = I \omega_f + hmv_2 sin(90 - \theta) ##
Solid sphere: ## I = \frac{2}{5}MR^2 ##
## \omega_f = \omega_i + \frac{hm}{\frac{2}{5}MR^2}(v_1 - v_2) cos \theta ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already viewed the key and have the answers, but I still have questions on how to find the answer.
I was able to get Vx and Vy for the satelite using the above equations. I used theta=0, and used cos theta for the y component. I'm not sure why this worked though.
## v_{s,xf} = 2600 + \frac{7.6}{280}(-2200 + 1300) cos 0 = 2575.57 m/s ##
## v_{s,yf} = 0 + \frac{7.6}{280}(0 - 480) cos 0 = -13.03 m/s ##
These are both correct according to the key.

I did not get the correct answer for the change in angular velocity. I used
## \omega_f = 2 + \frac{(5.1)(7.6)}{2913.12}(2200 - 1385.78) cos 0 = 12.83 rad/s, +\hat{z} ##
The correct answer according to the key is 9.97 rad/s, no direction given.

I could find the difference in energy after I had the correct angular velocity of the satellite. There are no external forces so no work is being done, so the only difference in energy is the difference in kinetic energy. I calculated this using the given correct angular velocity of the satellite and got the right answer, 2.86e+7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jhyrman said:

Homework Equations

From Wiley Matter and Interactions, 4e, vol 1, p. 434-35:
## P_{xf} = P_{xi} ##
## v_{s,xf} = v_{s,xi} + \frac{m}{M}(v_{j,xi} - v_{j,xf}) cos \theta ##

## P_{yf} = P_{yi} ##
## v_{s,yf} = v_{s,yi} + \frac{m}{M}(v_{j,yi} - v_{j,yf}) sin \theta ##
The above equations are not correct. Start from ## P_{xf} = P_{xi} ## and derive the correct equation that should take the place of ## v_{s,xf} = v_{s,xi} + \frac{m}{M}(v_{j,xi} - v_{j,xf}) cos \theta ##.

Likewise for ## P_{yf} = P_{yi} ##.

## L_f = L_i ##
## I \omega_i + hmv_1 sin(90 - \theta) = I \omega_f + hmv_2 sin(90 - \theta) ##

Again, this isn't correct if the ##\theta## on the left side is the same angle as the ##\theta## on the right side. Try setting up your own equation for ## L_f = L_i ##.

Related to Finding angular velocity after a collision

1. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, or how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

2. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity after a collision?

The formula for calculating angular velocity after a collision is: ω = (v/r), where ω is angular velocity, v is linear velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of impact.

3. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply in collisions?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In collisions, the angular momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the angular momentum after the collision.

4. Can the direction of angular velocity change after a collision?

Yes, the direction of angular velocity can change after a collision. This is because the direction of angular velocity is dependent on the direction of the linear velocity and the direction of rotation around the axis of rotation.

5. How is angular velocity affected by the mass and velocity of the objects in a collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved in a collision can affect the final angular velocity. The larger the mass and/or the higher the velocity of the objects, the greater the resulting angular velocity will be.