Finding Applied Force at equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the magnitudes of normal force and the applied force on a 6 kg block held in equilibrium on an inclined plane with an angle of 30 degrees. The approach involved breaking up the horizontal force into its x and y components and using the equations for net force in the x and y directions to solve for the unknowns. The use of larger angles for trigonometric functions was also mentioned, but it was suggested to try different methods and see what works best.
pxw
1. A block with a mass of 6 kg is held in equilibrium on an inclined plane of angle θ=30 degrees by a horizontal force F. Find the magnitudes of normal force on the block and of F (ignore friction).

So far, I've found Fg=6(-9.81)=-58.86 N

I then found Fgy=-58.86(sin240)=50.97 and Fgx=-58.86(cos240)=29.43

And I know that, since the block is in equilibrium, Fnet=0, so 0=Fn + Fgy + Fay

I just seem to be having the problem of finding applied force so that I can find Fn and Fay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
pxw said:
1. A block with a mass of 6 kg is held in equilibrium on an inclined plane of angle θ=30 degrees by a horizontal force F. Find the magnitudes of normal force on the block and of F (ignore friction).

So far, I've found Fg=6(-9.81)=-58.86 N

I then found Fgy=-58.86(sin240)=50.97 and Fgx=-58.86(cos240)=29.43

And I know that, since the block is in equilibrium, Fnet=0, so 0=Fn + Fgy + Fay

I just seem to be having the problem of finding applied force so that I can find Fn and Fay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
You have assumed that the x-axis is along the incline and the y-axis is perpendicular to the incline, which is OK. Now you must break up the horizontal force F into its x and y components. Then use F_net in x direction = 0 , and F_net in y direction = 0, to solve for the 2 unknowns from the 2 equations.
And welcome to PF!

Did you draw a free body diagram for the block? Including all the forces?
Did you define +y to be normal to the slope? Draw the axis on your fbd?
Did you resolve all the forces to those axis?

Why did you use angle 240 in the trig? Wouldn't 30 or 60 be more appropriate?

The applied force is horizontal - so it has components in x and y directions that have to cancel out with the other forces in those directions.
Note: sin(30)=cos(60)=1/2, sin(60)=cos(30)=√3/2

PhantomJay said:
You have assumed that the x-axis is along the incline and the y-axis is perpendicular to the incline, which is OK. Now you must break up the horizontal force F into its x and y components. Then use F_net in x direction = 0 , and F_net in y direction = 0, to solve for the 2 unknowns from the 2 equations.
And welcome to PF!

Yes, I understand that I have to break up F into its x and y components, however, I'm not sure how to do that without a value... the equation I have is Fa(sin330)=Fay. Sticking that into the net force equation, I have 0=Fn - 50.97 + Fa(sin330). I can't seem to get any further than that...

Thanks for your help and thanks for the welcome :D

Simon Bridge said:
Did you draw a free body diagram for the block? Including all the forces?
Did you define +y to be normal to the slope? Draw the axis on your fbd?
Did you resolve all the forces to those axis?

Why did you use angle 240 in the trig? Wouldn't 30 or 60 be more appropriate?

The applied force is horizontal - so it has components in x and y directions that have to cancel out with the other forces in those directions.
Note: sin(30)=cos(60)=1/2, sin(60)=cos(30)=√3/2

Yes, I did. I tilted my axes so that Fn was the y axis. I can't seem to resolve my Fa, since I don't have a value for it.

My teacher taught us to use the larger angles because using them keeps the sine equation for the y resolution and the cosine equation for the x resolution. Taking the angle, then, I have my Fg to be at 240 degrees and my Fa to be at 330 degrees. Like I said, breaking down my Fa seems to be the big problem.

pxw said:
Yes, I understand that I have to break up F into its x and y components, however, I'm not sure how to do that without a value... the equation I have is Fa(sin330)=Fay. Sticking that into the net force equation, I have 0=Fn - 50.97 + Fa(sin330). I can't seem to get any further than that...
That's one equation with 2 unknowns. You need another equation in the x direction.
My teacher taught us to use the larger angles because using them keeps the sine equation for the y resolution and the cosine equation for the x resolution. Taking the angle, then, I have my Fg to be at 240 degrees and my Fa to be at 330 degrees. Like I said, breaking down my Fa seems to be the big problem.
I agree with Simon that I would not use this convention for determining the angles and trig, but if you are comfortable with it, I guess its OK, although most texts won't do it that way.

PhanthomJay said:
That's one equation with 2 unknowns. You need another equation in the x direction.

Oh, ok! I got it now! Thanks a lot! :D

Well done :)

fwiw: if ##\theta## is the angle of the angle to the horizontal, then ##F_{gx}=mg\cos(90-\theta)## would be correct to preserve the "cosine" rule. Whereas: ##mg\cos(270-\theta)=-F_{gx}## ; (which is what your teachers says to do) gives the opposite direction. You seem to have been unconsciously correcting for this as you go. It will trip you up later.

It is usually easier to keep the signs right by just sketching the triangles on your diagram and using trig the way you learned in math class. People who prefer the "memorize equations" method of doing physics tend not to like this way. Probably your teacher is one of those.

I urge you try the other way for a bit, in private, before settling on your final method. You'll need the skill anyway, to read online examples and text-books. Like PhantomJay says, it really boils down to what you find comfortable - that also works.

Related to Finding Applied Force at equilibrium

1. What is meant by equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state where an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity in a straight line with no net force acting on it.

2. How do you find the applied force at equilibrium?

To find the applied force at equilibrium, you need to use the principle of equilibrium which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero. This means that the applied force can be calculated by adding up all the other forces acting on the object and multiplying by -1.

3. What are the types of forces that can act on an object at equilibrium?

The types of forces that can act on an object at equilibrium include gravitational force, normal force, tension force, frictional force, and applied force.

4. How does the direction of forces affect equilibrium?

The direction of forces can affect equilibrium as forces acting in opposite directions can cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they will add together and cause the object to move at a constant velocity.

5. Can an object be at equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be at equilibrium if it is moving. In order for an object to be at equilibrium, it must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity in a straight line. If an object is moving, there must be a net force acting on it, meaning it is not at equilibrium.

Back