Finding area between polar curves

In summary: This is a basic integralsquare rootIn summary, the homework statement is that a student is trying to find the area of a region inside a lemniscate and outside a circle. The student set the equations equal to each other and found that the angles pi/12 and (5*pi)/12 were the limits of integration. The student then found the approximation of .682 based on the graph and the fact that they are only after the ends of the lemniscate. Another student gave the approximation of .68485. The approach that was expressed in the integral appears to be OK.
Sentience

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region inside the lemniscate r^2 = 2sin(2[tex]\theta[/tex]) and outside the circle r = 1

It sucks because I wish I could post a graph, but the graph on my calculator looks like a circle around the origin with radius 1, with an infinity symbol going diagonally through it. (starting in quad 3 and pointing into quad 1.)

I believe the area they are after is the two ends of the lemniscate that don't quite fit inside the circle. (quads 1 and 3)

Homework Equations

1/2 * integral of (f([tex]\theta[/tex])^2 - g([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)

with your limits of integration being the angles where the two polar functions intersect.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the equations equal to each other, and get the angles pi/12 and (5*pi)/12 as the limits of integration. Now, based on what the graph looks like, and the fact that I'm only after the ends of the lemniscate, it seems that:

2 * 1/2 * integral of ( 2sin(2[tex]\theta[/tex])^2 - (1)^2) with my limits of integration being pi/12 and (5 * pi)/12 would do the trick. I get an answer of pi/3. (approx. 1.05)

However, a classmate gave me the answer, an approximation, of .682. He said he went over it with the teacher, and I'm pretty sure he's right. Any tips on where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You said your classmate's figure was approximate and I do get approximately:rolleyes: that, 0.68485.

Your approach as expressed in the integral appears perfectly OK.

Clue to where you have gone wrong is that your π/3 actually is the second part of your integral that you have to subtract from the first. I understand your g(θ) = 1. You don't need to do any integration of this part, it is just a third of a circle. Oh that's 2π/3. Well you work out the details. :biggrin: The pi factor should alert you to where error is because a trigonometric function of any fraction of pi wouldn't itself be any multiple of π.

Personally I would just integrate r2/2 between your limits, the whole shaded area in fig I will try to put up shortly, and subtract π/3 from that.

Last edited:
2euoq4j.jpg

Hope you can make out the circles of radii 1 and 2 there.

In the formula should have been cos 2θ not cosθ

You did it right, I think you probably pressed the wrong buttons on your calculator.

Here is how I did it

[tex]2\int_{\frac{\pi}{12}}^{\frac{5\pi}{12}}} \int_{1}^{\sqrt{2\sin2\theta}} r dr d\theta[/tex]

Related to Finding area between polar curves

1. What is the formula for finding the area between polar curves?

The formula for finding the area between polar curves is ∫(1/2)(r_2^2 - r_1^2)dθ, where r_2 and r_1 are the equations of the two polar curves.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for finding the area between polar curves?

To determine the limits of integration, you need to find the points of intersection between the two polar curves. These points will serve as the limits for the integral.

3. Can I use the same method for finding the area between polar curves as I would for finding the area between two regular curves?

Yes, the method for finding the area between polar curves is similar to finding the area between two regular curves. The only difference is that the equations for the polar curves are in terms of r and θ instead of x and y.

4. What if the polar curves overlap or intersect multiple times?

If the polar curves overlap or intersect multiple times, you will need to break up the integral into smaller segments and find the area for each segment separately. Then, you can add up the individual areas to get the total area between the curves.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the area between polar curves?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the polar double integral or converting the polar equations into Cartesian equations and finding the area between the curves using traditional methods. However, the formula for finding the area between polar curves is the most commonly used and straightforward method.