Finding Area with Double Integrals: What is the Approach for This Homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a shaded region and using rectangular coordinates to calculate the unshaded region's area. It is determined that the integrand for finding area is 1 if the units have an exponent of 2.
catch22

Homework Statement

upload_2015-12-4_6-20-17.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here is my approach,

I take the whole area, which is π16

then subtract the unshaded region

now to find the unshaded region's area, I use rectangular coordinates.

my bounds are from -2 to 2 for x and the the top and bottom of the larger circle : sqrt (16-x^2) and -sqrt (16-x^2)

but now I don't know if there should be an integrand or assume it is 1 if none is given?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you integrate for area, the integrand is 1.

Likes catch22
Here's how I like to think of it. If the amount of integrals that you're doing is the same as the exponent on your units would be, then the integrand is 1. For example, if you're calculating an area, your units would be square units (exponent 2), so with a double integral the integrand is one. So if you're calculating a volume, with a triple integral your integrand is 1 but with a double integral it isn't.

Related to Finding Area with Double Integrals: What is the Approach for This Homework?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical tool used to find the volume or area under a surface or between two surfaces in 3-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region.

2. How is a double integral used to find area?

By using a double integral, we can find the area of a region in the xy-plane by integrating the function 1 over that region. This is represented as ∬1 dA, where dA represents the infinitesimal area element. The result of this integral is the total area of the region.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function of one variable over a single interval on the x-axis. A double integral, on the other hand, involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane. It can be thought of as performing multiple single integrals over smaller intervals in the x and y directions.

4. What are the different types of double integrals?

The two main types of double integrals are iterated integrals and double integrals in polar coordinates. Iterated integrals involve evaluating the integral in two stages, first integrating with respect to one variable and then the other. In polar coordinates, the region of integration is described using polar equations and the integral is evaluated using a polar area element.

5. Are there any practical applications for double integrals?

Yes, double integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate volumes, areas, and mass distributions, among other things. For example, in physics, double integrals are used to calculate the center of mass of an object or to find the volume of a solid with a changing density.