Finding Bounds for a Tricky Complex Integral

In summary: So, in summary, the function has a definite integral over the domain $[0,1]$, and the integral is equal to the difference between the values of the definite integral at the endpoints of the domain.
Dustinsfl
$$
\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2t + i -2ti$, for $0\leq t\leq 1$.

$
\int_{\gamma} f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt
$

But

$
\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\int e^wdw
$

So then I would be solving

$$
\frac{1}{2}\int\exp(4t-1+4ti-8t^2i)(4+4i-16ti)dw
$$

Correct? And how would I find the appropriate bounds for this integral or would it still be 0 and 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2t + i -2ti$, for $0\leq t\leq 1$.

$
\int_{\gamma} f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt
$

But

$
\int_{\gamma}ze^{z^2}dz \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\int e^wdw
$

So then I would be solving

$$
\frac{1}{2}\int\exp(4t-1+4ti-8t^i)(4+4i-16ti)dw
$$

Correct? And how would I find the appropriate bounds for this integral or would it still be 0 and 1?
As you correctly say, $\int ze^{z^2}dz = \frac{1}{2}\int e^wdw = \frac12e^w = \frac12e^{z^2}$. In other words, your function has an indefinite integral. The fundamental theorem of integration applies, and says that the value of the integral along the path $\gamma$ is the difference between the values of the indefinite integral at the endpoints of $\gamma$.

The endpoints of $\gamma$ are $\gamma(0) = i$ and $\gamma(1) = 2-i$. So the integral is equal to $\frac12\left(e^{(2-i)^2} - e^{i^2}\right)$.

Opalg said:
As you correctly say, $\int ze^{z^2}dz = \frac{1}{2}\int e^wdw = \frac12e^w = \frac12e^{z^2}$. In other words, your function has an indefinite integral. The fundamental theorem of integration applies, and says that the value of the integral along the path $\gamma$ is the difference between the values of the indefinite integral at the endpoints of $\gamma$.

The endpoints of $\gamma$ are $\gamma(0) = i$ and $\gamma(1) = 2-i$. So the integral is equal to $\frac12\left(e^{(2-i)^2} - e^{i^2}\right)$.

So you are evaluating this integral
$$
\frac{1}{2}\int_{i}^{2-i}\exp\left(4t-14ti-8t^2i\right)(2-2i)dw
$$

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
So you are evaluating this integral
$$
\frac{1}{2}\int_{i}^{2-i}\exp\left(4t-14ti-8t^2i\right)(2-2i)dw
$$
No, he's evaluating $\displaystyle \int_{i}^{2-i} z e^{z^{2}} \ dz$. The path taken doesn't matter.

I'll state the theorem directly from my old textbook.

Let $f$ be analytic in a simply connected domain D. If $z_{0}$ and $z_{1}$ are any two points in D joined by a contour $C$, then $\displaystyle \int_{C} f(z) \ dz = \int_{z_{0}}^{z_{1}}f(z) \ dz= F(z_{1})-F(z_{0})$ where $F$ is an antiderivative of $f$ in $D$.

$f(z) = ze^{z^{2}}$ is an entire function. It's analytic everywhere. So the above applies.

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
No, he's evaluating $\displaystyle \int_{i}^{2-i} z e^{z^{2}} \ dz$. The path taken doesn't matter.

I'll state the theorem directly from my old textbook.

Let $f$ be analytic in a simply connected domain D. If $z_{0}$ and $z_{1}$ are any two points in D joined by a contour $C$, then $\displaystyle \int_{C} f(z) \ dz = \int_{z_{0}}^{z_{1}}f(z) \ dz= F(z_{1})-F(z_{0})$ where $F$ is an antiderivative of $f$ in $D$.

$f(z) = ze^{z^{2}}$ is an entire function. It's analytic everywhere. So the above applies.

After I make the substitution, I have $\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}\int_i^{2-i}e^wdw$ what is $w = $ now?

$\displaystyle F(z) = \int f(z) = \int ze^{z^{2}} \ dz = \frac{1}{2} e^{z^{2}} + C $

so $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} f(z) \ dz = \int_{i}^{2-i} f(z) \ dz = F(2-i) - F(i) = \frac{1}{2}e^{(2-i)^{2}} - \frac{1}{2} e^{i^{2}}$ and then simplify if you want

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
$\displaystyle F(z) = \int f(z) = \int ze^{z^{2}} = \frac{1}{2} e^{z^{2}} + C $

so $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} f(z) \ dz = \int_{i}^{2-i} f(z) \ dz = F(2-i) - F(i) = \frac{1}{2}e^{(2-i)^{2}} - \frac{1}{2} e^{i^{2}}$ and then simply if you want

That is what I wasn't understanding.

FAQ: Finding Bounds for a Tricky Complex Integral

What is a tricky complex integral?

A tricky complex integral is a mathematical expression that involves complex numbers and is difficult to solve using traditional methods. It often requires the use of advanced techniques and strategies to find a solution.

Why are complex integrals considered tricky?

Complex integrals are considered tricky because they involve both real and imaginary components, which can make the calculation and manipulation of the integral more complex. Additionally, the properties of complex numbers can be counterintuitive and require a deeper understanding to solve the integral correctly.

What are some common strategies for solving tricky complex integrals?

Some common strategies for solving tricky complex integrals include using contour integration, evaluating the integral using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and utilizing the residue theorem. Other techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts may also be useful in certain cases.

What are some real-world applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have a wide range of real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving alternating currents, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.

How can I improve my skills in solving tricky complex integrals?

To improve your skills in solving tricky complex integrals, it is important to have a strong understanding of complex numbers, calculus, and integration techniques. Practice and exposure to a variety of problems can also help develop your problem-solving abilities. Additionally, seeking guidance and studying from reputable sources, such as textbooks or online resources, can also be beneficial.