Finding Brewster's Angle via Fresnel Equation

In summary: Overall, you seem to have a good understanding of the topic.In summary, the problem at hand is determining which Fresnel Equation to use for deriving the Brewster's angle. By setting the reflection coefficient R_p equal to 0 and using Snell's Law, it can be shown that the angle of incidence (θ1) and angle of refraction (θ2) are related by the equation tan(θ1) = n2/n1, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums. This yields the Brewster's angle formula, which is equal to tan(θB).
876d34f

Homework Statement

The problem about this is, which Fresnel Equation am I supposed to use?

Show that the brewster's angle is

[tex]\tan(\theta)=\frac{n_{2}}{n_{1}}[/tex]

but which Fresnel equation do you use

Problem: Using the correct Fresnel Equation using (plugging in) the transmitted angle [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I figured, If I know the correct Fresnel equation, I would be able to just set my other angle equal to 90 and then I would be able to just solve for [tex]\theta[/tex] and then it would yield [tex]\tan[/tex] of [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] using Snell's Formula

show or rather derive the Brewster's angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone just please verify if this is the correct procedure?

so this is what I wrote on my paper

[tex]\frac{\tan(\Theta_{1}-\Theta_{2})}{\tan(\Theta_{1}+\Theta_{2})}[/tex]

[tex]\Theta_{1}+\Theta_{2}=90 Degrees[/tex]

Using Snell's Law then yields [tex]n_{1}\sin(\theta_{1})=n_{2}\sin(\theta_{2})[/tex]

and then that yields plugging in for [tex]\Theta_{2}=90-\Theta_{1}[/tex]

yields the Brewster's Angle formula by setting [tex]R_{p}[/tex] equal to [tex]0[/tex] which is the Reflection Coefficient?

and since [tex]\sin(\theta_{2})=\sin(90-\theta_{1})=\cos(\Theta_{1})[/tex]

Makes it [tex]n_{1}\sin(\Theta_{1})=n_{2}\cos(\Theta_{1})[/tex]

solving for the [tex]\Theta[/tex] value yields

[tex]\frac{\sin(\Theta_{1})}{cos(\Theta_{1})}=\frac{n_{2}}{n_{1}}=\tan(\Theta_{B})[/tex]

Which is just equal to [tex]\tan(\Theta_{B})[/tex]

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

I didn't follow all your details, but your final answer and starting arguments (θ1 + θ2 = 90o, Snell's Law) are correct.

Related to Finding Brewster's Angle via Fresnel Equation

1. What is Brewster's Angle?

Brewster's angle, also known as the polarization angle, is the angle at which light waves are polarized when they reflect off a surface. This angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the materials involved.

2. How is Brewster's Angle calculated?

Brewster's Angle can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which relate the angle of incidence, the angle of refraction, and the refractive indices of the materials. The angle can also be determined experimentally by measuring the intensity of the reflected light at different angles.

3. What is the significance of Brewster's Angle?

Brewster's Angle has several practical applications, including reducing glare on surfaces such as windows or water, and in the design of optical instruments such as polarizing filters. It also provides insight into the behavior of light waves when interacting with materials.

4. Can Brewster's Angle be different for different materials?

Yes, Brewster's Angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the materials involved. Therefore, it can vary for different materials. For example, the Brewster's Angle for light reflecting off a glass surface will be different than the angle for light reflecting off a water surface.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fresnel equations to find Brewster's Angle?

While the Fresnel equations are a useful tool for calculating Brewster's Angle, they do have some limitations. They assume that the materials are non-magnetic and that the incident light is unpolarized. Additionally, the equations may not accurately predict Brewster's Angle for materials with large differences in refractive indices.