Finding centripetal acceleration of a CD

In summary, a CD with a diameter of 12.0 cm starts from rest and with a constant angular acceleration of 1.0 rad/sec2 acquires an angular velocity of 5.0 rad/sec. After 15.0 seconds of rotating at 5.0 rad/sec, it slows to a stop in 12.0 seconds with a constant angular deceleration. At the time 10.0 seconds from the start, the centripetal acceleration of a point 4.0 cm from the center is 1.0 m/s^2. To calculate this, you can use the equations ωf=ωi+αt and a=ω^2r, where ωf is
bjudia
1. A CD with a diameter of 12.0 cm starts from rest and with a constant angular acceleration of 1.0 rad/sec2 acquires an angular velocity of 5.0 rad/sec. The CD continues rotating at 5.0 rad/sec for 15.0 seconds and then slows to a stop in 12.0 second with a constant angular deceleration. What is the centripetal acceleration of a point 4.0 cm from the center at the time 10.0 seconds from the start?
2. I know constant angular acceleration equations ωf=ωi+αt
Also centripetal acceleration= ω^2r

I really need some help with this, my professor did not explain this at all. I know radius 0.06m. ωi=5.0rad/sec. The answer to the solution is 1.0 m/s^2 but I'm not sure how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given the angular velocity (5 rad/sec.) and the radius that the point revolves around (4 cm or .04 m). You just need to plug the values into the centripetal acceleration equation (a=ω2r)

First correct your typo for the radius at the point in question, which is 0.04 m (.06 m is the radius of the disc).

Calculate the angular speed after 10 seconds, then plug it into the appropriate equation for centripetal acceleration. First you must answer: how long does it take reach its speed of 5 rad/sec? You've listed the relevant equations...now please show an attempt.

That makes total sense! I've been blown away for like 2 hours. lol thank you very much

I can provide a response to the content by first understanding the given information and then using relevant equations to solve the problem.

Firstly, we are given a CD with a diameter of 12.0 cm, which means the radius is half of that, or 6.0 cm (0.06 m). The CD starts from rest, meaning its initial angular velocity (ωi) is 0. It then acquires an angular velocity of 5.0 rad/sec after a constant angular acceleration of 1.0 rad/sec^2.

Using the equation ωf=ωi+αt, we can calculate the final angular velocity (ωf) after 10.0 seconds from the start:

ωf=ωi+αt
ωf=0+1.0 rad/sec^2 * 10.0 sec
ωf=10.0 rad/sec

Now, we are asked to find the centripetal acceleration at a point 4.0 cm from the center after 10.0 seconds. We can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, ac= ω^2r, to solve for this.

ac= ω^2r
ac= (10.0 rad/sec)^2 * 0.04 m
ac= 1.0 m/s^2

This matches the given answer of 1.0 m/s^2. Therefore, the centripetal acceleration at a point 4.0 cm from the center after 10.0 seconds is 1.0 m/s^2.

Additionally, we are told that the CD continues rotating at 5.0 rad/sec for 15.0 seconds and then slows to a stop in 12.0 seconds with a constant angular deceleration. We can use the same equation to find the angular deceleration (α) and then use it to find the time it takes for the CD to come to a stop.

ωf=ωi+αt
0=5.0 rad/sec+α * 12.0 sec
α= -0.417 rad/sec^2

Now, we can use this angular deceleration to find the time it takes for the CD to come to a stop:

ωf=ωi+αt
0=5.0 rad/sec+(-0.417 rad/sec^2) * t
t= 12.0

FAQ: Finding centripetal acceleration of a CD

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences while moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a crucial component of circular motion. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path, as it continuously changes the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal acceleration of a CD?

The centripetal acceleration of a CD can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the linear speed of the CD and r is the radius of the circular path it is following.

4. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, so it is always positive in the direction of motion.

5. Why is finding the centripetal acceleration of a CD important?

Knowing the centripetal acceleration of a CD can help us understand its motion and how it stays in a circular path. It is also important in engineering and designing objects that move in circular paths, such as amusement park rides and satellites.