Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Horizontal Force on a Wooden Desk

In summary, to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction for a block being pulled at a uniform velocity across a wooden desk, you can use the formula Friction Force = (Coefficient of friction)*(Normal force). By setting the net force to 0 and finding that the applied force and friction force are equal to 50 N, you can solve for the coefficient of friction, which is equal to 0.64 in this case.
temaire

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 50 N is required to pull and 8.0 kg block at a unifrom velocity across a horizontal wooden desk. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{Net}[/tex]=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I put [tex]F_{Net}[/tex] as 0, because accleration is 0. By doing this, I get the applied force and the force of friction both as 50, but I don't think that its right. By the way, the answer to the question is 0.64.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in finding that the force applied is equal to the kinetic friction, but you need another formula to relate the frictional force to the coefficient of friction.

What would that formula be?

Friction Force = (Coefficient of friction)*(Normal force)

Thanks for the formula, I got the answer.:smile:

Related to Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Horizontal Force on a Wooden Desk

What is applied force?

Applied force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of force that is being applied to an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are some examples of applied force?

Some examples of applied force include pushing a door to open it, pulling a wagon, and throwing a ball. Any time a force is exerted on an object, it can be considered applied force.

How is applied force measured?

Applied force is typically measured using a force meter or a spring scale. These instruments measure the force in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What is the difference between applied force and net force?

Applied force refers specifically to the force being applied to an object, while net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the applied forces and their directions.

How is applied force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Applied force is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law, which states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Applied force is the external force that can change an object's state of motion.

Back