Finding conditions that assure that a holomorphic function i

In summary: What do these equations tell you about ##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}##?In summary, the conversation discusses finding a condition on H that would make h a constant, given H is a real-valued function of two real variables with continuous first partial derivatives. It is mentioned that the trivial condition of H=0 can't be the answer, and the conversation then provides two hints: 1) considering the behavior of ##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V, and 2) utilizing the specific equations that the first partial derivatives of the real and imaginary part of a holomorphic function satisfy.
lolittaFarhat
Let H be a real-valued function of two real variables with continuous first partial derivatives. If h(z)=h(x+i y)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)is holomorphic in a region V, and H(u,v)=0. Find a condition on H under which one can conclude that h is a constant . Of, course H is the zero function can do the job, but i do not want a trivial condition, any clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
lolittaFarhat said:
Let H be a real-valued function of two real variables with continuous first partial derivatives. If h(z)=h(x+i y)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)is holomorphic in a region V, and H(u,v)=0. Find a condition on H under which one can conclude that h is a constant . Of, course H is the zero function can do the job, but i do not want a trivial condition, any clue?
If H is the zero function, H(u,v)=0 for any choice of functions u,v, and hence for every holomorphic function in V. So H=0 can't be an answer.

Hint:
1) What can you tell about ##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V?
2) What do you know about the first partial derivatives of the real an imaginary part of an holomorphic function?

##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V are continuous, how can this help?

lolittaFarhat said:
##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V are continuous, how can this help?
You know that H(u,v)=0.
More precisely, for ##x+iy \in V##, ##H(u(x,y),v(x,y))=0##.
That should tell you more about the derivatives (when ##x+iy \in V##) than that they are continuous.
Also, the first partial derivatives of the real an imaginary part of an holomorphic function satisfy a very specific set of equations.

Related to Finding conditions that assure that a holomorphic function i

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is defined and differentiable at every point within a given region, called its domain. This means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point within its domain.

2. How do you find conditions for a holomorphic function?

The most commonly used conditions for a holomorphic function are the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the partial derivatives of the function's real and imaginary parts must satisfy a specific relationship. Additionally, the function must be continuous and have a derivative at every point within its domain.

3. Why is it important to find conditions for a holomorphic function?

Holomorphic functions have many important applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in complex analysis and the study of conformal maps. By finding conditions that assure a function is holomorphic, we can determine its properties and use it to solve various problems in these fields.

4. Can a holomorphic function have a singularity?

No, a holomorphic function cannot have a singularity within its domain. This is because a singularity would imply that the function is not differentiable at that point, which contradicts the definition of a holomorphic function. However, a holomorphic function can have isolated singularities outside of its domain.

5. Are there any real-world applications for holomorphic functions?

Yes, holomorphic functions have several real-world applications. They are commonly used in electrical engineering to model alternating current circuits and in fluid dynamics to describe the flow of fluids. They are also used in image processing and signal analysis, among other fields.