Finding Conditonal Probability

• Thread starter mckallin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem is asking to show that the conditional probability that the first ball selected was white is w/(w+b+n), given that the second selected ball is black. This is done using the equation for conditional probability, where the probability of the first ball being white is equal to the probability of both balls being white divided by the probability of the second ball being black. By listing all possible sample points and using the equation, the final answer is w/(w+b+n).
mckallin
Homework Statement
There are w white balls and b black balls in a bowl. Randomly select a ball from the bowl and then return it to the bowl along with n additional balls of the same color. Another single ball is randomly selected from the bowl(now containing w+b+n balls) and it is black. Show that the conditional probability that the first ball selected was white is w/(w+b+n)

Relevant equations
The conditional probability of an event A, given that an event B has occurred, is equal to:
P(AlB)=P(AnB)/P(B)

The attempt at a solution
This is my last question of my assignment and I can't figure out even how to get the first step. The condition we know here is an event happened afterward, so I am even confused if I should use the equation above. I try to list the sample points which are A(1st-w, 2nd-w), B(1st-w, 2nd-b), C(1st-b, 2nd-b), D(1st-b, 2nd-w), and the possible sample points should be B or D. Then I try the conditional probability for B:

Sample point B :

Being the first selecting:
P(w)=w/(w+b) P(b)=b/(w+b)

By sample point B, it supports that the first selected ball is white, second is black, so using the equation:
P(blw)=P(bnw)/P(w)=P(bnw)/[w/(w+b)]=b/(w+n+b)
so, P(bnw)=[w/(w+b)]*[b/(w+n+b)]

Here it already looks strange because B is just one of the sample points, but I still continue:

P(wlb)=P(wnb)/P(b)={[w/(w+b)]*[b/(w+n+b)]}/[b/(w+b)]=w/(w+b+n)

I got the answer, but I have no feeling for that. It was that I was just putting something into an equation with no reason. But when I tried other ways, it even went worse. If anyone can give me some ideas just like how I should start to prove and that will be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what the question is asking: "Show that the conditional probability that the first ball selected was white is w/(w+b+n)" This doesn't make any sense. The probability that the first ball selected is white is clearly w/(w+b) unless i am horribly, horribly mistaken. Reread the question.

EDIT: Oh never mind, I missed the part where the second ball selected was black.

After studying this problem further, I decided I don't know enough to help you out, sorry. Hopefully someone else can explain.

Last edited:
I think it means that at first the color of the ball is unknown, and given the condition that the second selected ball is black; thus, under this condition what the probability of the the first ball selected was white is.
That is what I got. I agree with your meaning though, but anyway that is what the question is asking, driving me cruzy.

Related to Finding Conditonal Probability

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account the relationship between two or more events.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the intersection of the two events by the probability of the first event. This can be represented by P(A|B) = P(A∩B)/P(B).

3. What is the difference between marginal and conditional probability?

Marginal probability is the probability of a single event occurring, without taking into account any other events. Conditional probability, on the other hand, considers the influence of one event on the likelihood of another event occurring.

4. When should conditional probability be used?

Conditional probability is typically used when there is a known relationship between two events. It can be applied in various fields such as statistics, machine learning, and decision-making processes.

5. What are some real-world applications of conditional probability?

Conditional probability has many practical applications, such as predicting the likelihood of a disease based on risk factors, finding the probability of a stock market trend based on economic indicators, and determining the probability of winning a game based on previous outcomes.