Finding Convergence of Series: $\sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(1+\frac{1}{k})]$

In summary, the conversation is about finding the convergence or divergence of the series \sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(1+\frac{1}{k})]. The progress made so far involves rewriting the series as a difference of logarithmic functions and determining that some terms cancel out. The discussion ends with the conclusion that the series is divergent.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am pretty new with this serie I am supposed to find convergent or divergent.
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(1+\frac{1}{k})]\)

progress:
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(1+\frac{1}{k})]= \sum_{k=1}^\infty [\ln(\frac{k+1}{k})] = \sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(k+1)-\ln(k)]\) so we got that
\(\displaystyle \lim_{n->\infty}(\ln(2)-\ln(1))+\)\(\displaystyle (\ln(3)-\ln(2))+...+(\ln(n+1)-\ln(n))\)
and this is where I am stuck
:confused:

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: serie

You've done fine up until this point. Consider the first few terms you have written :

$$\ln(2) - \ln(1) + \ln(3) - \ln(2) + \cdots$$

Do you see that $\ln(2)$ cancels out? Can you, similarly, show that some further terms cancel outs too? If so, can you determine what is finally left?

Keyword : Telescoping series

Last edited:
Re: serie

mathbalarka said:
You've done fine up until this point. Consider the first few terms you have written :

$$\ln(2) - \ln(1) + \ln(3) - \ln(2) + \cdots$$

Do you see that $\ln(2)$ cancels out? Can you, similarly, show that some further terms cancel outs too? If so, can you determine what is finally left?

Keyword : Telescoping series

EDIT : This can be shown in another way though rather easily by noting that $\log (1 + 1/k) \geq \log(1/k)$.
Ohh I see it was infront of my eyes... I did not even checking those will cancel out...! Thanks a lot now I got it!
We got left
\(\displaystyle \lim_{n->\infty}\ln(n+1)-\ln(1)=\infty\)
Thanks for taking your time! Guess I need to wake up!:P

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Related to Finding Convergence of Series: $\sum_{k=1}^\infty[\ln(1+\frac{1}{k})]$

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The convergence of a series is determined by the behavior of its terms as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the terms approach a finite limit, the series is said to converge. If the terms do not approach a finite limit, the series is said to diverge.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine the convergence of a series, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series or using integration to determine the behavior of the terms.

3. What is the limit comparison test and how does it apply to the given series?

The limit comparison test states that if the limit of the ratio of the terms of two series is a finite, positive number, then both series either converge or diverge. In the given series, we can use the limit comparison test with the series $\sum_{k=1}^\infty\frac{1}{k}$, which is known to diverge, to determine the behavior of the given series.

4. Can the integral test be used to determine the convergence of the given series?

Yes, the integral test can be used to determine the convergence of the given series. By using the substitution $u=\frac{1}{x}$, the given series can be rewritten as $\int_1^\infty\frac{1}{x(1+x)}dx$. The integral test states that if the integral of the terms of a series converges, then the series converges as well.

5. What is the behavior of the given series and how does it relate to the natural logarithm?

The given series is known as the harmonic series with the addition of the natural logarithm function. The harmonic series is known to diverge, and the addition of the natural logarithm terms does not change this behavior. However, the series does approach a finite limit, which is equal to the Euler-Mascheroni constant, denoted by $\gamma$. This constant is closely related to the natural logarithm function and appears in various mathematical and scientific contexts.