Finding Critical Angle: A Freshwater Pond Problem

In summary, The question asks how to find the critical angle when given the indices of refraction for two different mediums, in this case, water and air. The laser strikes the surface of a freshwater pond at an angle of 30.0 degrees and the indices of refraction are 1.33 for water and 1.00 for air. Using Snell's law (sin y/sin x=r/s), the solution in the book is to take the arcsine of 0.665 (obtained from 1.33/1.00) to find the angle, resulting in 41.7 degrees. However, the person asking the question was confused as they were getting a different number on their calculator. After being
Liger20

Homework Statement

Hey, I’m a little bit confused on an optics question on how to find the critical angle when given the indices of refraction for two different mediums. The question deals with a laser beneath the surface of a freshwater pond. The indices of refraction are r=1.33 for the water and s=1.00 for the air. The laser strikes the surface at an angle of 30.0 degrees relative to the perpendicular. I’m asked what angle the beam will emerge from the surface into the air.
You use Snell’s law for this, and the solution in the book I have is as follows:

Homework Equations

sin y/sin x=r/s (the equation for Snell’s Law)

sin y/(sin 30.0 degrees)= 1.33/1.00

sin y/0.500=1.33

sin y= 1.33 x 0.500= 0.665

I understand the problem up to here, but then things get weird:

y=sin-1 0.665=41.7 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Whenever I type sin-1 0.665 I get .72749. I am not sure how to actually convert this number into degrees. I think that it’s something simple, but I’d really appreciate it if someone told me what I’m supposed to do. I hope I’ve been specific enough, but if not, just let me know. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Type in whatever you got on your calculator (.72749) and multiply that by (180/pi)

Whoa, it works! Thank you so much! I wonder why the author didn't say anything about that...

Related to Finding Critical Angle: A Freshwater Pond Problem

What is critical angle?

Critical angle is the angle at which light rays passing through a medium are no longer refracted and instead are reflected back into the medium. It is the minimum angle of incidence that allows for total internal reflection to occur.

How do you calculate the critical angle?

The critical angle can be calculated using the formula: θc = sin-1(n2/n1), where θc is the critical angle, n1 is the refractive index of the first medium (usually air), and n2 is the refractive index of the second medium (in this case, water).

What is the "freshwater pond problem"?

The freshwater pond problem is a scenario in which a light ray enters a freshwater pond from air at a certain angle, and the goal is to determine the critical angle at which the light ray will be reflected back into the air instead of passing through the water.

Why is finding the critical angle important?

Finding the critical angle is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of light when passing through different mediums. It also has practical applications, such as in fiber optics and microscopy, where total internal reflection is utilized to transmit and manipulate light.

How does the critical angle change with different mediums?

The critical angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums. As the refractive index of the second medium increases, the critical angle decreases. This means that light passing through a medium with a higher refractive index is more likely to undergo total internal reflection.