Finding Derivative of V= ay/(b2 + y2) - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a given equation in terms of variables a, b, and y. The person asking for help has a basic understanding of derivatives but is struggling with the specific problem and is looking for guidance. They are advised to use the quotient rule to find the derivative.
Kali8972
Partial integral?

Can someone help me figure out what this means? It's been forever since I've had any math classes.

V= ay/(b2 + y2)

Find the derivative in terms of a,b, and y

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kali8972 said:
Can someone help me figure out what this means? It's been forever since I've had any math classes.
V= ay/(b2 + y2)
Find the derivative in terms of a,b, and y
Thanks so much!
Do you know what a derivative is? Nobody here is going to just do the problem for you, but if you show what you're having trouble with we'll try to help :smile:

yes... For example if you had 2x^3 the derivative would be 6x^2... When i do the derivative for the above equation I get:
a(b^2-y^2)/(b^2+y^2)^2

Use the "quotient rule": the derivative of [itex]\frac{f(y)}{g(y)} [/itex] is
[tex] \frac{\frac{df}{dy}g(y)- f(y)\frac{dg}{dy}}{g^2}[/tex]

FAQ: Finding Derivative of V= ay/(b2 + y2) - Help Needed

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It essentially measures how much the output of a function changes when its input is changed by a small amount.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative?

The derivative has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to find maximum and minimum values of a function, determine the slope of a curve, and solve optimization problems.

4. How do I find the derivative of V= ay/(b2 + y2)?

The derivative of this function can be found using the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. After applying this rule, you can simplify the expression to get the derivative of the function.

5. What is the derivative of V= ay/(b2 + y2)?

The derivative of this function is given by (b2 - a2y2)/(b2 + y2)2. You can find this by applying the quotient rule and simplifying the resulting expression.

Back