Finding Derivative of y = \sqrt{x + f(x^2-1)} at x = 3

• Thread starter projection
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: However, you might want to consult a more experienced individual to make sure.I think you understand the chain rule, so you should have a good idea whether that is correct or not. However, you might want to consult a more experienced individual to make sure.In summary, the sky diver experiences air pressure p that will cause their ears to pop if the rate of change of pressure with respect to distance fallen in metres is greater than 2 pressure units per second. The time at which the ears will pop is 2.7 seconds after t seconds. The height at which the ears will pop is 35.6 metres.
projection

Homework Statement

Let [tex]y=\sqrt{x+f(x^2-1)}[/tex]. Find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] when x=3, given that [tex]f(8)=0[/tex] and [tex]f'(8)=3[/tex].I missed the lesson for this and am lost on what to do. some guidence would be appreciated. i don't understand the [tex] f(x^2-1) [/tex] inside the bracket.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i spent like an hour trying to figure this out. (need to not miss class!)

my attempt at a solution:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(x^2-1)}{2\sqrt{x+f(x^2-1)}}[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(3^2-1))}{2\sqrt{3+f(3^2-1)}}[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(3^2-1))}{2\sqrt{3+f(3^2-1)}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(8))}{2\sqrt{3+f(8)}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+3}{2\sqrt{3+0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4}{2\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

this this anywhere near correct? can someone inform me where i went wrong? right of the bat? inbetween??

You're very close. However, you forgot to apply the chain rule when you took the derivative of [tex]f(x^2 - 1)[/tex]. That, too, is a composition of function and so you must also apply the chain rule when taking its derivative.

am not sure i understand but...would its derivative be[tex]\frac{1}{f(x^2-1)}[/tex]? or could t be [tex]f'(x^2-1)(2x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Not quite. Remember that the chain rule says

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(g(x))=f'(g(x))g'(x)[/tex]​

When you have

[tex]f(x^2 - 1)[/tex]​

They're saying that, rather than plugging in the usual x in your variable, you plug in [tex]x^2 - 1[/tex]. For example, let [tex]f(t) = t^2[/tex]. Then, [tex]f(x^2) = (x^2)^2 = t^4[/tex]. So, you have a composition of functions, where, using the notation of the chain rule as stated above,

[tex]f(x) = f(x)[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = x^2 - 1[/tex]​

So, thinking about the chain rule, what would the derivative with respect to x be of [tex]f(x^2 - 1)[/tex]?

Last edited:
Yes, the correct answer is [tex]f'(x^2-1)(2x)[/tex].

so new solution is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(x^2-1)(2x)}{2\sqrt{x+f(x^2-1)}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+f'(8)(2(3))}{2\sqrt{3+f(8)}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+18}{2\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{19}{2\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Yup. That's right.

Mothrog said:
Yup.

great. thanks a lot man. really starting to understand.

another problem. i have soloved it, but need to see if i have done it correctly.

Q-skydiver jumps from plane at 3000m. distance fallen in meters after t seconds is:

[tex] s=5t^2[/tex]

During fall, experiences air pressure [tex]p[/tex] that will cause his ears to pop if the rate of change of pressure [tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] exceeds 2 pressure units/s. suppose that the rate of change of pressure with respect to distance fallen in metres is 0.075 pressure units/m. what time will the sky divers ears pop? At what height will this occur?

Solution attempt:
A)time ears pop

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{dp}{ds}*\frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dp}{ds}=0.075[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}= 10t[/tex]

[tex]2=0.075*10t[/tex]

[tex]t=2.7[/tex]

b)height of poping

[tex]s=5(2.7)^2[/tex]
[tex]s=35.6[/tex]
[tex]3000-35.6=2964.4[/tex]

Yes, that looks right too.

Mothrog said:
Yes, that looks right too.

cool. that's 2 out of 4 on the worksheet. onto number three.

suppose that f and g are functions such that:

[tex]f(1)=-\frac{1}{2}[/tex] , [tex]f'(1)=-\frac{2}{3}[/tex] , [tex]g(2)=1[/tex] and [tex]g'(2)=3[/tex]

find [tex]h'(2)[/tex] where [tex]h[/tex] is the composite fuction [tex]h(x)=f(g(x))[/tex].

so in this to get [tex]h'(2)[/tex] i need to just take the derivative [tex]f'(1)[/tex] and multiply it by the derivative [tex]g'(2)[/tex] ?

[tex]-\frac{2}{3} * 3 [/tex].

so [tex]h'(2)[/tex] is equal to -2?

it seems wrong to me because i have done it too simply. did i completely miss the mark? or partialy?

I think you understand the chain rule, so you should have a good idea whether that is correct or not.

Related to Finding Derivative of y = \sqrt{x + f(x^2-1)} at x = 3

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line at that point on the function's graph.

2. What is the process for finding a derivative?

The process for finding a derivative involves using mathematical rules and formulas to calculate the slope of the tangent line at a given point on a function's graph. This typically involves using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

3. What does the notation "f'(x)" mean?

The notation "f'(x)" is another way of writing the derivative of a function f(x). It is read as "f prime of x" and represents the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph.

4. Why is it important to find the derivative of a function?

Finding the derivative of a function is important because it allows us to understand how the function is changing at a specific point. This can be useful in solving real-world problems, optimizing functions, and understanding the behavior of a function.

5. How do you find the derivative of a square root function?

To find the derivative of a square root function, we can use the power rule and the chain rule. For the function y = √x, the derivative is y' = 1/(2√x). When the square root is nested within another function, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative.

Back