Finding Derivitive with Expression of Area

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a math problem involving a tank with a cylindrical and hemispherical shape. The total surface area of the tank is given and the goal is to find the values of h and r that result in the maximum volume. The attempted solution involves expressing h in terms of r and using the derivative to find the maximum value. However, it is pointed out that the formula being used is for surface area, not volume. The correct answer from the textbook is r = 3.
odolwa99
I have managed to solve (i), so I'll just post the answer as it comes into play for (ii). I'm struggling with the differentiation of this expression. Can anyone help?
Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. A tank, with a base, is made from a thin uniform metal. The tank, standing on level ground, is in the shape of an upright circular cylinder & hemispherical top, with radius length of r metres. The height of the cylinder is h metres. (i) If the total surface area of the tank is 45∏m2, express h in terms of r, (ii) Find the values of h & r, for which the tank has maximum volume.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt: (i) [itex]\frac{45 - 3r^2}{2r}[/itex]

(ii) 1st, separate the fractions and simplify the answer in (i) to [itex]\frac{45}{2r}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{3r}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dS}{dx}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{45}{r^2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] = 0 => [itex]\frac{3r^2}{2}[/itex] = -45 => 3r2 = -90 => r2 = -30 => r = -[itex]\sqrt{30}[/itex]

Ans: (From textbook): r = 3

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula you are trying to maximize is that of surface area, not volume!

Related to Finding Derivitive with Expression of Area

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It measures how much a function's output value changes when its input value changes.

2. How is the derivative related to the expression of area?

The derivative can be used to find the rate of change of the area of a shape with respect to its dimensions. This is useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the dimensions of a shape that will maximize or minimize its area.

3. What is the process for finding the derivative with an expression of area?

To find the derivative of an expression of area, we use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). We also use the chain rule when the expression involves more than one variable. We then set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for the variable to find the dimensions that maximize or minimize the area.

4. Can the derivative be used to find the maximum or minimum area of a shape?

Yes, the derivative can be used to find the maximum or minimum area of a shape. By setting the derivative of the expression of area equal to 0 and solving for the variable, we can find the dimensions that will give us the maximum or minimum area.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the derivative with an expression of area?

Finding the derivative with an expression of area has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. For example, engineers may use it to optimize the dimensions of a building or bridge to minimize cost while still meeting structural requirements. Economists may use it to determine the optimal production level for a company to maximize profits. And physicists may use it to analyze the relationships between different physical quantities.