Finding direction where the rate of change is fastest

In summary: In that case, you would use the dot product of the gradient vector with the x-axis. In summary, the climber is at (500,300,4390) and he drops a bottle which is at (300,450,4100). His elevation rate of change is -.334 if he heads for the bottle. The fastest way for him to reach the bottle is to head in the direction of the gradient vector which is <-1,-2.4>.
munkhuu1

Homework Statement

surface of mountain is modeled by h(x,y)=5000-0.001x^2-.004y^2. Climber is at (500,300,4390) and he drops bottle which is at (300,450,4100)
What is his elevation rate of change if he heads for the bottle?
In what direction should he proceed to reach z=4100 feet the fastest, so that he can be on a constant elevation to reach his bottle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved for first question and got -.334 where i just found gradient and multiplied by unit vector
and for the 2nd question I am little confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient is a vector and contains two pieces of information- its "length" and its direction. In which direction does the gradient here point?

is the direction just gradient of (500,300) which is <-1,-2.4>
or do i find the difference of the 2 points and find gradient of (200,-150) = <-.6,-1.2>

I'm sorry, I assumed from your saying that you had found the gradient that you knew what "gradient" meant!

The gradient of the function f(x,y,z) is the vector
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
Isn't that what you did? The "direction" you want to go is the direction of that vector. It may be, what you wrote was ambiguous, that you want a compass direction, not including the "downward" part. If that is the case, find the angle that
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex] makes with "north", the positive y-axis.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm sorry, I assumed from your saying that you had found the gradient that you knew what "gradient" meant!

The gradient of the function f(x,y,z) is the vector
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
Isn't that what you did? The "direction" you want to go is the direction of that vector. It may be, what you wrote was ambiguous, that you want a compass direction, not including the "downward" part. If that is the case, find the angle that
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex] makes with "north", the positive y-axis.

yea i did found the gradient which was <-1,-2.4> i just wasnt sure how to get direction from this.

What do you mean by "direction"? A direction in three dimensions is given by either a unit vector or by the "direction cosines" (the cosines of the angles a line in that direction makes with each coordinate axis which is the same as the components of the unit vector).

But, as I said, you may want the two dimensional compass direction the person should take.

Related to Finding direction where the rate of change is fastest

1. What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how much a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It is often represented as the slope of a line on a graph, with the change in the dependent variable divided by the change in the independent variable.

2. How do you find the direction where the rate of change is fastest?

To find the direction where the rate of change is fastest, you can use the derivative of the function. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. The steeper the slope, the faster the rate of change.

3. What does it mean to find the direction where the rate of change is fastest?

Finding the direction where the rate of change is fastest means identifying the direction in which the quantity is changing the most rapidly. This can be useful in many applications, such as predicting the maximum or minimum value of a function or optimizing a process.

4. Can the direction where the rate of change is fastest change?

Yes, the direction where the rate of change is fastest can change depending on the specific point on the graph. For example, a function may have a different fastest direction at its maximum value compared to its minimum value.

5. How is finding direction where the rate of change is fastest useful in real life?

Finding direction where the rate of change is fastest is useful in many real-life applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. It can help determine the most efficient way to complete a task or optimize a process. For example, it can be used to find the fastest route for a delivery truck or the most cost-effective production process for a company.

Back