Finding Discontinuities & Decreasing Intervals of a Sequence

In summary, the problem involves finding the sum of a series with a variable exponent k and a constant c. To determine if the sequence is decreasing, the derivative of the function is taken and its critical points are examined. However, the process of simplifying the derivative and finding the intervals where the sequence is decreasing is still unclear.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n^{k-1}}{n^k+c}[/itex], where k is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that it was discontinuous at [itex]x = (-c)^{1/k}[/itex]; and to determine if the sequence is decreasing, I took the

derivative which is--I think--[itex]f'(x) = \frac{(k-1)x^{k-2}(x^k+c)-x^{k-1}(kx^{k-1}}{(x^k+c)^2}[/itex]
I am not quite sure how to simplify this, nor am I certain on how to find the intervals which the sequence is decreasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n^{k-1}}{n^k+c}[/itex], where k is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that it was discontinuous at [itex]x = (-c)^{1/k}[/itex]; and to determine if the sequence is decreasing, I took the

derivative which is--I think--[itex]f'(x) = \frac{(k-1)x^{k-2}(x^k+c)-x^{k-1}(kx^{k-1}}{(x^k+c)^2}[/itex]
I am not quite sure how to simplify this, nor am I certain on how to find the intervals which the sequence is decreasing.

Now that you've taken the derivative of f, ask yourself, what are the critical points? Those will allow you to find if f is decreasing as x → ∞.

Related to Finding Discontinuities & Decreasing Intervals of a Sequence

1. What are discontinuities in a sequence?

Discontinuities in a sequence refer to points where the sequence changes direction or has a gap, causing it to be non-continuous. It can be represented by a break or jump in the sequence.

2. How can I find discontinuities in a sequence?

To find discontinuities in a sequence, you can graph the sequence and look for any breaks or jumps. You can also look for points in the sequence where the difference between consecutive terms is significantly different, as this may indicate a discontinuity.

3. What is the significance of finding discontinuities in a sequence?

Identifying discontinuities in a sequence can help to understand the behavior and pattern of the sequence. It can also help to determine the limit of the sequence and its convergence or divergence.

4. How can I determine the decreasing intervals of a sequence?

To determine the decreasing intervals of a sequence, you can look for points where the difference between consecutive terms is negative. This indicates that the sequence is decreasing. You can also graph the sequence and look for intervals where the slope is negative.

5. Can a sequence have more than one discontinuity or decreasing interval?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple discontinuities and decreasing intervals. It is important to carefully analyze the sequence and identify all the points where there are breaks or jumps, as well as intervals where the sequence is decreasing.

Back